❝ CHAPTER 11 ❞

▌Chapter 11 ─ A Dangerous Game ▌

Chapter 11 ─ A Dangerous Game

      ━━━━━ IRIS LOOKED AT her family, and then she placed her eyes on Fred. Before they had a real chance to ask her any questions the brunette turned around and ran for the door. Placing her hand on the door she pulled it open and walked outside.

Benoit looked back at her while the brunette walked over to the steps and sat down. Soon she placed her head in her hands fighting to hold back the tears. That was not how she wanted anyone to find out.

She wanted to tell Fred on a different date, and she wanted to tell her family too. But she wanted them to be the first to know about everything that she was going to do. With the passing of her grandfather everything seemed to go in a different direction.

She was now in unknown territory even though it was her family. But now she was stuck in a dangerous game and she had to play it out until the very end. Until all the truth was uncovered. Until she and Marta were in the clear.

The door opened once again, but Iris didn't remove her head from her hands. She was still trying to fight the tears, while trying to figure out how she would confront her family now that they knew the truth.

"What was that about will readings being boring?" Marta asked, as she walked onto the back porch, her eyes briefly looking at Iris.

"The exception that proves the rule." Benoit replied.

The door opened once more, and slammed shut seconds later. The family had picked up on fighting again. Iris removed her hands from her head turning slightly to see Fran coming out of the house.

"Asshole." She breathed out, heading down the other steps. Iris picked herself back up looking at Benoît as he held onto the baseball.

"'I'm warning you.' Ransom said, 'I'm warning you.'"

"Well, you heard Ransom in there. That's the kind of thing he says."

"He says that to me when he gets angry over something." Iris said, joining the conversation.

"You want this? You want this?"

Benoit pulled his hand back and proceeded to throw the baseball across the yard. Hussie took off running after the baseball, leaving the three behind. His eyes fell on a piece of blue wood that had been dropped at his feet.

"What do we have here?"

Benoit pulled out a glove, and picked it up from the ground to get a better look at it. Marta placed her eyes on Iris, then placed them back on the wood that rested in Benoit's hand. He then looked towards the side.

Picking himself up he proceeded to jog down the steps, both Marta and Iris followed behind him. "This looks like a relatively fresh break." He paused as they came to a stop on the side of the house. The three looked up. "Yep. Right there."