Chapter 26: A Comatose Dawn

The shimmering rays of moonlight falls with glistening hope on my face and I turn to block it away. Soon, the sky will adorn an amber radiance and the day will begin and continue - just like my days since the past four months. Ever since my parent died...

   My breath hitches at the thought.

   It was all my fault. I ruined my life. I ruined everything. It's because of me, my parents are dead; my perfect life gone, like a speck of dust lost in the grains of time. I don't remember much after what happened that night. Just a lot of people dragging me to places, Eli coaxing a plate of food in front of me, her arguing with some strangers while somebody else drags me to a plane. So here I am, in the house of strangers, with an ultimatum to be up at the crack of dawn.

   They didn't have to worry, being back in Kabul without my parents wouldn't let me sleep anyway.

***

   Not much has changed in here since I left this country. Coming in from the airport, the Quick Response Force still patrols the city. Barricades everywhere checking for suicide bombers, the Talibans. They say all these won't affect you unless you let them affect you. They didn't affect me because I never grew up in this city. Now I think they will.

***

   They take me to a neighbourhood I had never seen before, somewhere between a slum and a suburban outskirts. A fading lime green house stands tall before us, plaster falling apart in places, lewd posters covering up others. The only place untouched is a regal, new front door protected behind stainless steel bars. A frail woman in a veil opens the door, leading us into a shabbier living room where a balding, pot-bellied man sat. I don't know who these people are, and so for the first time in the last six months, I'm truly afraid of what has fallen into my fate.

   The woman who brought me here coughs once and says quite calmly, "Selina, meet your uncle and aunt." My eyes haze for a moment, clear shock emblazing on my face. I never knew I had an uncle or an aunt. "You'll be living with them now. They're your only living relatives, but legally we're not bound to leave with them. You got lucky – your other option wouldn't have been in your favour given that you're originally from Afghanistan. I'll be back after 3 months to verify your father's properties and your inheritance. I know you might want your freedom now that you're legally an adult. But our lawyers thought your kind uncle and aunt here will give you more safety. Give us a moment, and then I'll let you guys catch up."

   I can't help but think how farcical all this is. Legally adult... lawyers... What inheritance? What uncle and aunt?

   Am I having a Harry Potter nightmare?

***

   Turns out they have un-photoshopped pictures to prove that this uncle of mine was my father's actual brother. What gutted me the most is why Abbu had never mentioned them before... or even Ammi... They never hid anything from me... no matter how bad things were... But they had... so maybe it doesn't matter anymore. But why?

   I'm tired to ask why, but the shabby man rasps away anyway... The official woman smiles at me encouragingly. She whispers to no one in particular that families fight all the time, the trivial differences never matter at the end. I don't want to correct her, I don't want to tell her that here the thickest of blood is spilled on the smallest of arguments. That people are never who they pose they are... She's happy when she leaves. She caresses my cheeks like my mother used to and I do everything in my power to stop the waterworks. A stranger can care when even the closest don't...

***

   Dawn has set by the time the household simmers down to a tranquil silence. But I can't feel any serenity. All I feel is the calculating pairs of eyes on me as I stare down the ragged carpet. They haven't said anything to me, which only makes me wonder what their intentions might be. Are they trying to save face in front of this judgmental society or are they after my family's infinitesimal inheritance? I don't question...The first rule for women to survive in this country – DON'T MAKE EYE CONTACT WITH THE MEN MUCH LESS TALK FIRST. I wonder if they follow the same laws... or are they pioneering equality like my parents did?

   The aunt coughs, and the shrill voice addresses me, "Selina, dear, this is Kabul. Where on earth is your niqab?"

   Definitely the same rules...

   "Shami..." The man warns in a low, "The girl just got here from America. They didn't do that there. I doubt her parents raised her that way either." A simple opinion, but the way he says it makes me double think it to find that sneaky underlying sarcasm. I still don't say anything even when my breath hitches at their mention.

   The women speaks again, "I don't care, dear, you will, at least, wear a hijab all the time. Go upstairs, the last room is yours. Wake up early tomorrow. We need to talk properly, don't we, sweetie?"

   I nod and greet them goodnight in a timid voice. I'll never trust someone even if they fill my days with endearing terms. Even though their lips smile at me, words flow with love, their eyes on me has me on my toes. I can't trust them. Not when my parents never mentioned them before. I can barely hold back tears at my thoughts. Those lively faces are of the past now. Their last act was to protect their child from the one she had once given her heart to. Oh, how it shattered. Love makes you human, Trey had once said. That bunch of bullshit is always a lie... Love creates monsters. Monsters that eat you away...