Chapter 10: Gravitas

The next morning at school I'm flooded with yet another wave of dilemma.

   He wanted me to sleep on what he said. He wanted me to sleep and in saying so, kept me awake the entire night.

   Now, I'm sporting dark circles as I grudgingly dragged myself to my locker. I would make a fine model, wouldn't I?

   Having Treyton reciprocate what I felt was daunting enough, heck, I wasn't even sure what I felt until he came up to me and declared his... fervent sentiments.

   It was one thing for me to harbour a stupid crush. To have him want to take things to the next level, nay... the highest level possible from what I figured from his declamation... it was simply unsettling...

   We've been face to face just three times, THREE... What the heck was his deal?

   My internal brooding made me lose track of time and apparently, space because now I was facing a glaring Amelia and a seemingly apathetic Josh leaning against my locker, not meeting my eyes.

   "Well, well, well. If it isn't our beloved Selina Zafeer, gracing her with her presence. Am I permitted to voice myself in your attendance?"

   Oh, great. The foreboding confrontations that always leave me more confused than ever.

   Come to think of it, I'm always confusedSometimes, I really don't like myself...

   "Yes, Eli, I'm listening. Why are you mad at me?"

   "Oh, no no. I'm not mad at you, Lee.", she sniggered, which was worse, "All I'm curious about is why I haven't seen you since yesterday. Why you haven't returned my texts, why we return meet up after school and why Joshy here is suddenly so concerned about you. Care to explain?"

   I sigh.

   It seems like sighing is the only thing I understood about human interactions, apart from confusion.

  I shoot a quick glare at Josh for selling me out, which he not-so-skillfully ignore and say what had been bothering me all night. "Treyton asked me out."

   "What???" Eli and Josh shout out loudly in unison, their voices echoing down the hallway - both earning looks of disapproving looks from teachers and curious stares from students.

    And probably for the hundredth time, I sigh again.

   Best to get this done with...

   "Well, not in those exact terms, he wanted to take me somewhere, today. I'm supposed to answer by the time school ends. I can't decide if I should..."

   "What do you feel about this, about him?" Eli asks me cautiously.

   "Like I said, I hosnestly don't know. I kinda do like... he seems... I mean..." I was all flustered up.

   "I don't want to get your way, but all I have to say is that Selina, I believe you to be smarter than this. You shouldn't fall for his illusions, you don't even know this guy. Just be... careful."

    Smarter than this? Illusions? So, like an idiot that I am, I do just the opposite that Eli expects me to do.

   "Let's see." I reply with an indifferent shrug.

    Thankfully, the bell rings sharply, just in time to save me from further interrogations.

   I swiftly walk away, leaving a disappointed Eli in my awake. Not noticing Josh slumping away in the shadows without muttering a single word.