Chapter 15: Trials

"Hi." My heart performs a sudden somersault worth a standing ovation.

   I swear to God, every good conversation someone has with me, always starts with 'hi'.

   This was starting to get really annoying.

   Just the 'hi' part though, not the resonant voice behind it.

   "Trey..." I breathe out, "hi..." He looks really good, dusty brown hair falling into his face. Warmth radiates through my cheeks and from his smirk, I know he's already seen it. 

   Damn it.

   Why does he always have this effect on me?

   Play it cool, Selina...

   "You wanted me to see me?" I look up from under my eyelashes, fluttering them like a Disney princess, desperately trying to keep my voice low and seductive like I've seen in the movies a million times. 

   I must look ridiculous.

   Because he looks tongue-tied, halfway between shock... terror... or disgust? I honestly don't know which.

   Now I can't up crack up, doubling over in laughter. This is stupid. But suddenly my laughter's cut off by a crushing weight.

   Panic tears my eyes open. Those iridescent eyes that were in front of me a moment are no longer there; instead they are buried deep in my right shoulder. Broad arms engulf me from both sides, tight... tighter still... He has himself flush against me. And I'm frozen in place. Electricity courses through my veins, circulating all through me. I  feel my heart thundering against my chest. And I know he hears it too. His hands trail up my back, tugging me forward, as if pulling my heart closer to his...

   After what seemed like eons, Trey exhales out a great sigh. The tip of his nose slithers up the side of my neck until his rough cheeks are pressed to mine, his mouth breathing heavily by my ear. The pit of my stomach churns in a turmoil. It takes me all my will power not to let out a whimper.

   "Yeah, I wanted you."

   Great, I think I just forget just to breathe.

   And all the guy did was just hug me...

***

   I was standing in front of my locker, gathering my books when life decided to slam a door on my face. And by door I mean locker and by life I mean Eli, obviously...

   "What?" I stare at her, shocked. Knowing full well that I did nothing wrong this time. I hope...

   She says nothing but throws a pointed look behind my back and walks away with her heels clicking sharply on the floor. I honestly wonder how she manage to survive in heels all day.

   I slowly turn around, praying to any God who would listen that I'm not in trouble. I shouldn't be... right?

   Wait... it's just Josh...

   But...

   Oh boy...

   He locks his eyes with mine and instantly I'm taken aback by then intensity of intent in them. He means business today...   

***

   "Josh, what's wrong?" My voice is barely a coarse whisper when he finally reaches me.

   Somehow, I see the fire in his eyes die away.

   I was expecting him to snap. Instead his shoulders slump back in defeat as he heaves out a sigh. "You haven't talked to me in a week. Why don't YOU tell me what's wrong?"

   Oh that...

   "Joshhh..." I try out to pour out reassurance in my words, "I just had a really busy week."

   "So busy that you can't pop in and say a quick hello?" he interjects.

   Well, he has a point...

   "Look I'm sorry. I'm still trying to balance everything out." I wasn't lying; this week had been off the charts for me alright...

    Josh takes a step forward and places his hands on both my shoulders, holding my gaze directly into his. 

   "Look, I miss you, alright? I get it that you like Trey. I don't like it but I can't force you to stop either. Maybe with you, he's a changed man. I just want my friend back, okay?" And before I get the chance to say anything back in reply, he says, "And you're mine tomorrow."

   I almost choke on air, "Excuse me?"

   His face turns red when he finally realizes what he had said and he quickly slips his hands away. He mumbles out, "That came out wrong..." and then stutters a bit more loudly, "I-I meant tomorrow at-t the club..."

   Josh, clearly embarrassed, took a leave immediately after and I found myself chuckling at the odd group of friends I call my friends now.

***

   "So, Mars means danger, right?" Trey and I were back at the park and he had been lecturing... sorry, enriching my knowledge about astronomy. I was the one who mixed it up with astrology.

   Trey laughs out at this, eyes crinkling and my heart melts at his dimple. He's perfect.

    "What makes you think I know that?" He's still chuckling at me, even though I don't know understand what's there to laugh about. I don't care. I'll let him be happy.

   I still can't figure out why I like this boy this much but what hurts most is that people misjudge him so much. Trey has a golden heart with an aching past he doesn't let me see properly. Whatever had had happened between him and the people of this town should definitely be forgiven and forgotten. Nobody deserves to be treated like an outcast, certainly not him...

***

   "Come on, let's get you home. I have some  work to do too." It's well before my curfew when Trey finally gets up and offers me his hand.

   I take it, not resisting the thrill butterflies send me every time his touch is against mine.

   But , only this time, he doesn't let go. Trey laces our fingers together and the butterflies that were dancing in my stomach are replaced by a  harrowing dread.

   I quickly squirm, pulling my hand away.

   He stops dead right in his tracks, turning to face him. I can't face him...

   "Selina..." he's concerned, "Did I do something wrong?"

   Yes. No. Maybe.

   I don't want to tell him. I have to tell him.

   "TreyIcan'tdothis..." I rush out.

   "What?" He stares at me, utterly confused. I don't miss out the tensed vein protruding from his neck.

   "PDA..." I blurt out again, "not comfortable. Not used to this. Honestly, if this was 10 years ago in Afghanistan, I'd be hanged to death."

   It takes him a beat to realize how serious I was. 

   "But you're okay with hugs?" 

   Well, he has a point.

   "We. Were. Alone..." I say, stressing my syllables...

   Before he can start to confuse me too, I explain, "Look, I'm still new to this culture. You have to give me time to adapt."

   This time he takes my hand and gives it a short squeeze, "Okay. You're work, aren't you? But it's fine; I'm willing to go through every trial you put before me... as long as it means you're around."

   Damn it.

   I'm already infatuated with him.

   Does he want me to fall for him too?