Chapter 9: Tsunami

"You've got to be kidding me. What makes you think I'll live in your pheasant house when I have a whole mansion to myself."

   "You don't have my cozy double beds. They can get real cozy... Warm campfire beside it... Great for cuddling... And also, the view. Never underestimate the power of a glass wall looking onto a lake."  he danced eyebrows in emphasis and held out his arms to me.

    If I hadn't been dying of laughter, I would've smacked him.

    "We can't cuddle. It's virtually impossible. We'll only be able sleep."

    Oh, no. Why do I always do this to myself?

    "Ohhh. So you do consider us sleeping together. Guess I have a chance after all." I couldn't decide if he was smirking or just smiling like always.

   So instead, I did the stupidest thing possible.

   I blushed.

   This is Josh, people. Cue the standing ovation.

   When I joined the literature club, I expected  people with their noses dug in books. Arguing endlessly of what to read next. Students with posh accents eloquently spewing words I had never heard of.

   Instead, I found this.

   We spent the first half hour handing out reading lists and ticking off the ones we've read. Set our target number for the month, viewed a few essay samples, discussion topics and then, went back to an absolute one hour of me time.

   And for me, me time meant arguing about minecraft realms with Josh.

   I've finally found someone like me. Our love for books isn't any less than our love for video games. I have finally found my match.

   "Hey. Earth to Selina." Josh waved his hand in front of my face. "You here?"

   I chuckle.

   "Missed me already?"

    Now it was his time to blush.

    I glance at the clock and find the clock already striking 5.15. I couldn't abuse my freedom now that I finally had it. I still need to get home before the sun set. Just for safety.

    Josh sensed my urgency too. He stood up gathering his backpack, and then extended his hand to me. "Come on, I'll drop you home."

    "It's fine. I can manage." I said, pulling myself up.

    "You shouldn't be such a Debby Downer, Seli. I could've to spend a bit more time with you." His words were sincere because he wouldn't meet my eyes after that.

    I let out an audible sigh.

    He's been nothing but a great friend all day. That was the least I could do.

    "Okay, fine. But only if you'll leave a block away from my house. I don't want my parents to see you."

   With that, his smirk was back.

   "Don't want to get caught with me, eh? You can't delay it Seli, they'll have to meet their future son-in-law one day."

   This time, my punch does not miss.

    I don't how I've come to have this relationship with Josh. He's just easy to be with. Fun. With him, nothing's awkward. I'm just glad I've found him.

***

   "Hey, Selina."

    A voice calls me, causing both Josh and I to stop mid-track, catching us mid-laugh.