CHAPTER TWO

The next morning, Emily and Will found themselves home alone after Joyce and Jonathan had both left for work. Emily took the opportunity to use the phone to call Mike, since there was less of a possibility of her being overheard. It rang for a few moments before someone picked up.

"Hello, this is the Wheelers," Mrs. Wheeler said.

"Hey, Mrs. Wheeler, it's Emily. Is Mike there?" Emily said.

"Yeah, just a sec."

Emily vaguely heard Mrs. Wheeler calling Mike's name, but just a few moments later, it was Mrs. Wheeler's voice she heard speaking to her, not Mike's.

"I'm sorry, hon, but he can't talk right now," she said. "He's apparently busy. Maybe try again later?"

Emily's heart sank. "Oh. Okay," she said.

"Talk to you later, sweetie."

Emily hung up the phone, a frown evident on her face. Obviously, talking it out was not an option if Mike wouldn't talk to her, so she needed help. She began to think of who could help her, and one person came to mind almost immediately: a girl her age who often had relationship troubles herself and who did not get along very well with Mike and would therefore not tell him anything she told her. Of course, this girl might not be willing to help her, but it was her best shot, and so she headed towards the door.

"Wait, where are you going?" Will asked her as she passed him in the living room.

Emily hesitated. "Somewhere," she told him before leaving.

"That doesn't answer my question."

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

Ten minutes later, Emily found the house she had been looking for, and thankfully, the girl she was looking for was skating outside on the street. She stopped and got off of her bike, kicking the kickstand down, and the noise alerted the other girl of her presence.

"Emily?" Max said, surprised to see her show up at her house, alone and unannounced.

"Hey," Emily said, a hint of nervousness in her voice.

"What are you doing here? Are you okay?"

"Well... yes. But I just... I need help. And if you don't want to help me, I understand. I was a total bitch to you last year and even since then, I haven't been very welcoming, so I know I don't deserve it. I was just... well, despite what we told you, Mike and I weren't official yet, so I guess I was... I don't know. It's stupid. The point is, I'm sorry."

"You were jealous. It's okay, I get it. I was new. You didn't know me and yet I wanted to join your party. But just so you know, I have never and will never like Mike like that. Trust me, he is all yours."

Emily let out a small laugh. "Yeah. About that..."

Sitting down on the curb, she went on to explain to Max what had happened with Mike the night before. She was careful not to mention the odd feeling that she shared with Will. Max continued to skate while Emily talked but still listened intently, making some commentary here and there but respectfully listening for the most part.