Chapter 36 Part 2 - "Poisonous Eyes"

....

Shen Zhiyan said gently and elegantly:

"This official is just here for a routine inquiry, and Madam Li doesn't need to be polite."

The Palace maid still served the tea cakes and prepared the tea.
Madam Li stood and said with a smile:

"Your Highness, Master Shen, please feel free to ask.
This servant knows everything about the Courtyard."

Murong Ci asked straightforwardly:

"Do you know why Concubine An is always covering her head and face on such a hot day?"

Madam Li replied:

"About five or six years ago, Concubine An started covering her head and face all day long.
She said that she had a head problem and often felt headaches.
She felt that the back of her head was chilly.
Your Highness, is there something wrong with Concubine An? Is she a criminal or something else?"

"You only need to answer!"
Shen Zhiyan's face became cold.

"Yes, of course!"
She tilted her head, scratching her nose and condemning her mischief and gossiping heart.

"Has Concubine An's maid-servant Liu Mei always been with her master?
Has she followed her since the day Concubine An entered the Spring Wuyuan Courtyard?"
He asked again, looking at Madam Li.

"Mmhhh...about the maid-servant...?
It's been more than ten years now, this servant has a bad memory..."
Madam Li was frightened and nervous.
Her facial features were a bit twisted, her hands twisted around her clothes, and the cold sweat from her back kept coming out.

'Damn it, it looked like she really didn't remember whether Concubine An had come to Spring Wuyuan Courtyard with her maid-servant Liu Mei, more than 10 years ago...'

At this time, a thirty-something court lady called Xiao Tao came in with two cups of tea and placed it respectfully on the mottled table.

Madam Li's inspiration flashed,

"Xiao Tao, you have been in the Spring Wuyuan Courtyard for more than 20 years!
Do you remember whether Concubine An came with Liu Mei when she entered the Spring Wuyuan Courtyard?"

Xiao Tao tilted her head and thought for a moment, then said:

"Your Royal Highness, Lord Shen, this servant remembers clearly that Concubine An came alone when she entered the Spring Wuyuan Courtyard."

"Why do you remember so clearly?"
Shen Zhiyan looked at His Royal Highness, thinking that there was something strange about this.

"The criminals or demoted Concubines usually brought with them their maid-servants in the Spring Wuyuan Courtyard.
However Concubine An did not bring any maid-servant with her.
This servant thought it was a bit weird at that time, so she inquired about it.
It turned out that the maid-servant Liu Mei was expelled from the Palace by Concubine An personally, because of her crimes."
Xiao Tao replied.

"Have you seen Liu Mei afterwards?"
Murong Ci asked calmly.

Madam Li and Xiao Tao shook their heads, saying they hadn't seen her.
Murong Ci asked again:

"Then what's going on with the Liu Mei here now?"

Madam Li felt that this matter was getting more and more weird.

'The Prince asked in such a detailed manner...
This means that this matter must be very important.
Since the Prince would ask so many questions regarding Concubine An and Liu Mei, they must have committed a major crime...!'

Madam Li became more and more frightened as she thought about it, so she didn't dare to conceal anything, and said:

"I remember now!
Just five or six years ago, Concubine An suffered of headaches, and a few days later, she took in Liu Mei to be her maid-servant, saying that Liu Mei would stay in the Spring Wuyuan Courtyard to take care of her.
The Spring Wuyuan Courtyard is isolated from the world, and is a place to accommodate criminals and demoted Concubines, and the number of people isn't that much either...
So this servant didn't care too much, allowing Liu Mei to stay and take care of the Concubine."

Murong Ci asked a few more questions, and then left the Spring Wuyuan Courtyard.
Before leaving, she expressly told Madam Li and Xiao Tao that if they thought of or remembered any other weird things that happened in the Spring Wuyuan Courtyard in the past ten years, they could come to the East Palace to find her.

While they were leaving, someone from behind them, was looking at them, turning out from another Palace road.
That person's eyes were cold like poison, looking at their back...

....

————————————
END of CHAPTER 36 PART 2
.....................to be continued