6 - Cliffs

[this chapter will contain mention of suicide. the suicide hotline will be provided at the end of the chapter. please take care of yourself love, you are not alone <3]

     Summer was almost halfway over and I had been working tirelessly throughout all of it. I needed a break, even just for one evening. I trekked through the tangle of plant life that surrounded my farm on my way to Cindersap Forest. I hadn't spoken much to Shane since the day after the Flower Dance and that was a few weeks ago. I had said hello to him a few times when I saw him around town, but nothing too serious. Perhaps we could grab a drink at the saloon and chat for a while. I hated to admit it, but I missed him.

     I swung open the door to Marnie's Ranch when I arrived. Marnie was nowhere to be found, but I saw the door to Jas's room crack open ever so slightly. Then, it flung open.

     "Miss Polly!" Jas called.

     "Hi Jas, how are you?" I beamed.

     "Not good, Uncle Shane is missing!" she cried. My face went pale.

     "Missing? Do you know where he might be?" I knelt down to be on Jas's level.

     "No, I don't know," Jas shook her head.

     "Where's your Aunt Marnie?" I asked.

     "She went to the saloon for the night," she responded.

     "I'll go look for your uncle, okay? I'll find him, don't worry," I grabbed Jas's hands reassuringly. She let go of my hands and instead wrapped her arms around my neck in a hug, which I returned.

     "Please hurry," she mumbled into my shoulder. I let her go and gave her a silent nod. Without hesitation, I sprinted out the door and into the thick forest.

     "Shane? Shane?" I called out into the darkness. It was drizzling a few minutes earlier, but the rain had strengthened tremendously while I was at the ranch. The pouring rain made it difficult to see, but I kept trudging through the tall grass and shrubs. I had covered seemingly every inch of the forest and ended up at the cliffs. I saw a bit of blue, what looked like a beer can, out of my periphery. I spun to see it. My blood ran cold.

     Shane was lying in the grass surrounded by beer cans, just like in his room a few weeks ago. Immediately, I rushed over to his side and crouched down next to him.

      "Shane? Are you okay?" I shook his shoulders with strength I was unaware that I possessed. "Answer me, damn it!"

     "Polly..." he groaned. I scooted closer to him, lifting his head onto my lap. If he threw up, I didn't want him choking. Of course, that was my justification for moving him. It was instinctive albeit embarrassing. Regardless, I had already done it.

     "I... I'm sorry," he hiccuped.

     "No, don't be sorry, it's okay," I could feel tears surfacing in my eyes.

     "M-my life..." he trailed. "It's a pathetic joke. Look at me."

     "Don't say that," the tears started falling, feeling like acid on my skin as they trailed down my cheeks. That was the only was to distinguish them from the downpour, the burning sensation.

     "Why do I even try?" he sobbed. "I'm too small and stupid to... to take control of my life. I'm just a p-piece of soiled garbage flittering in the wind."

     "Shane..." I bit my lip, trying to hold back the flood of tears pouring from my eyes. They must have been coming down faster than the rain. Hearing everything Shane was saying was devastating. I knew he was suffering terribly, it was no secret, but to know how bad it was broke me. I had been there before. I knew how awful it was at rock bottom. I never wished it upon anyone, especially not Shane. Especially not Shane.