10 - The Game

Discharge day came quickly after Shane and I's conversation. I'm not sure if the nurse that heard me on the phone had said that I had someone to live with me or not, but regardless, intensive outpatient was my next step. I would have to go to a clinic about halfway between Zuzu City and Pelican Town every day other than weekends. It would be tedious, but at least I could get work done on the farm again. I missed an entire growing season, which meant I had lost an entire season to gather materials for the Community Center. It stressed me out the entire time I was in the hospital, but I could always get those materials next year.

"Paulette? Your family is here for your discharge," a nurse popped into my room while I finished packing. I had a backpack full of clothes that Leah dropped off for me once I was admitted and a large paper bag with various crafts that were done during my time in the hospital. I'd likely throw them all out once I got home but I didn't have the confidence to get rid of them while still in the hospital. I swung the backpack over my shoulder and grabbed the brown paper bag. I saw the other patients watch as I followed the nurse to the big white double doors that marked the end of our unit. I felt the jealousy in the air, but I knew that one day, they'd all feel the bliss of discharge. The nurse and I stepped into an elevator and went down several floors until we were at the ground floor.

"Let me go check if they're outside, you sit out here," the nurse gestured to a green cushioned bench by the automatic sliding doors. I sat down, resting my backpack down to give my shoulder a break. My heart pounded. What if he didn't show up?

"There's one person here for you, is that everyone?" the nurse asked snidely as she reappeared through the sliding doors.

"Yes," I gritted my teeth. This nurse in particular was a pain and was the last person that I wanted to escort me out of the hospital. At least it was over. I picked up my backpack by the top handle and grabbed the paper bag as well. I never thought that walking out of automatic glass doors would feel so good.

"Shane!" I dropped my bags and ran over to the familiar brown-haired man on the sidewalk. I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled myself in for a hug.

"I wasn't expecting this for a greeting," he muttered.

"Play along," I hissed, "you're supposed to be my 'boyfriend' so they'll let me go home."

"Right, right," Shane held me closer, but felt a bit tense. We let go after a while and I saw that the nurse was out of sight. I doubted that she watched to see if anything was suspicious, I even doubted that if she saw a scene that didn't seem romantic, she'd report it. It was just an excuse that I made up to get a hug and it worked.

"Let me get your backpack, you can get the paper bag," he leaned down to pick up the backpack and he slung it over his shoulder. I grabbed the paper bag by the handle and together we headed off to the nearest bus stop.

"Okay, I'm tired of playing this game," I announced. "What were you going to ask me the night of the festival?"

"I... well..." I could have sworn that a sweat broke out on Shane's forehead.

"I won't judge you for whatever it is," I plopped down on the bench by the bus stop. A glass roof held up by a few columns shielded us from the snow that melted immediately after hitting concrete. Typical Zuzu City snow; it never stuck.

"Okay, I'll get this over with," Shane sighed. "I wanted to ask if going to the festival together... was that a date?"

My heart stopped. I didn't know what to say, I didn't have a clue. If I said yes, what if he was creeped out? If I said no, what if he got upset and didn't want to be friends? My leg bounced up and down for a few moments, the silence stiff in the air. We were alone, just me, Shane, and the weak snow.