8 - Syncope

There I was again on Marnie's doorstep, looking for the man that lived in the room off of the kitchen. The man that used to drink beer to drown his sorrows but switched to sparkling water. The man who started seeing a counselor in Zuzu City so that he could improve himself. The man that's started spending more time with him family and less time at the saloon. The man that I had a stupid, girlish crush on. And I hated myself for it.

     "Hello?" I opened the door and walked in, but was surprised to see no one home. It was nine-o-clock at night, an hour before the last festival of the summer started. Shane promised me that we would go together and I was holding him to his word. I strode into the kitchen.

     "Jas?" I saw the little girl standing by the back door in the kitchen. She jumped, but then beckoned me over.

     "Uncle Shane's in the barn. He said, uh, he said to tell you he wants to show you something," she stammered.

     "Alright, what is it?" I reached to turn the doorknob and push open the door. The two of us stood in the doorway and watched as Shane stood on a stepladder. Red paint dripped off of his paintbrush and the wooden sign in front of him. FRESH EGGS.

     "That should do it," he backed off of the stepladder and walked over to a white chicken, picking the bird up. "It's the perfect home for you hens. We'll have the best eggs in the whole valley! Fresh and healthy with rich golden yolks. Not like those pale, sickly Joja eggs."

     Shane's demeanor suddenly changed with a sigh, "you know, Charlie, I was thinking. A guy like me is always teetering on the edge of despair, know what I mean? But you and the other hens are gonna keep me upright from now on. I know it... What's wrong? Too much pressure?"

     Jas and I finally stepped into the barn. I looked around for the other chickens. That's when I saw them. Blue chickens. Blue. Shane put the white chicken in his arms down.

     "Hey, Polly. So what do you think?" he beamed.

     "They're blue," I walked over to Shane so that I could take in the strange sight.

     "My special blue hens... I've been raising them in secret for the last few months. I... Well, I won't be living here forever, and I wanted to pass something on to Jas. I've been teaching her how to care for them. I want to feel like I'm not just a leech on the world. I want to contribute somehow, even in a small way like this," he glanced over to the blue hens, admiring them. I had no idea how he did this and I was incredibly impressed.

     "They look great, you should be proud," I grinned.

     "Thanks, Polly. We should head to the festival now, huh?" Shane turned to me.

     "Yeah, I don't wanna be late," I nodded, walking towards the door.

     "Jas, come on," Shane called. Jas skipped over to the door, a smile plastered on her face. I had never seen the Moonlight Jellies before, but I'd heard of how beautiful they were. Excitement filled my heart as the three of us traveled down to the beach.

      "I'm gonna go sit with Vincent!" Jas ran off once we got to the beach. The sand squished beneath my boots as Shane and I went down to the docks.

     "I don't see any jellyfish," I huffed.

     "They don't show up yet," Shane bumped into my side jokingly. The impact made me lose my footing, my foot missing the dock entirely. Your first festival and now you're going to embarrass yourself. Pathetic.

     I braced myself for impact with the water when I felt a hand firmly grip my arm, "I'd think that with all the work you do on the farm, your balance might be a bit better than that."