Chapter 15: Woke up like this

***

The bed was a magnet pulling on me when I woke up the next day. My body was on vacation mode too. If I could, I wouldn't move. I'd just sleep all day and call for room service to be fed. But Callan of last night motivated me to go fish my phone underneath my pillow. If I fail to go to school today and tick off another of his tasks, it will delay the kiss. I don't want anymore delays.

I dialed Zia's number.

"Hey, girl . . ." I said lazily.

"Hey to you too. What happened to you last night? We were gossiping about something juicy and you're off the grid. You missed the tea," she said. I faintly heard smacking. She must be applying lipstick.

"I was out with Callan last night."

That's enough to make her squeal. Asa na naman siya, gee. "You were? Did you plok na? Magkasama pa kayo? Deets naman!"

Hah. I knew it. She should stop hoping that something like that will happen anytime soon. Ako nga, slight na lang na umaasa. Magsasara muna siguro ang pechay ko sa kahihintay. "Siyempre, hindi. That guy won't even kiss me unless I completed ten of his tasks. We only met for coffee. Mom and I spent the night here at the hotel."

I heard Zia's sigh. I laughed softly. Hindi naman pechay niya ang at stake kundi ang akin.

"How many did you complete na ba?"

I counted mentally first. I finished five but I'll send Callan a picture today while I'm all poised in bed so, "Six. A few more and I could totally tease him so we should finish another today."

"We should buy that cheap bag. Pasama tayo kay Rel."

"Let's do it later today. After class."

"Yeah. I want to know if you're really gonna like kissing him."

"Yeah. Anyway, I called because I need clothes. Tito Lowell's doing drugs last night at the house, Mommy and I don't want to go back there. She's going to spend all day outside and shop for whatever she needs. It'd be fun to shop with her but we have school."

"Oh my gee. Next time, just come here at the house. It's always just Kylo and me. Bring some of your clothes and stuff too, so it'd be easier for you. Tita could come too."

"Are you sure Tito Brad won't mind?" tukoy ko sa dad niya.

"He won't mind because he won't know because he won't check. And even if he did check, he'd probably ignore us. Alam mo naman 'yon."

I sighed. Zia's dad was no better than my dad, or Amber's, or Rel's. The only reason I didn't impose on her last night was because of Mommy. But if Tito Lowell would continue to be such a pain in the ass, Mommy better stays at our vacation house in Batangas.

"Anyway, what do you want? I have several unused dresses," she said.

Zia always has racks and racks of unused clothes. She's a spender and she retail therapy everything—stress, disappointment, family problem, bad sex . . . name it. She's a VIP in several clothing lines.

I was about to ask for a dress but I remembered Callan's remarks. "I need, uh, pants."

The silence walked shamelessly between Zia and me. I was waiting for her to absorb what I said.

"Pants? Pants?" tanong niyang mas may emphasis ang huli. "Why?"

Yeah. I knew she'd find it unusual. I cleared my throat. "Well, I thought mahirap pumunta sa Divisoria nang naka-dress."

"Uh . . . Well, if we think about it . . . sabi ni Rel, matao lagi ro'n."

"Snatchers are common din daw."