Chapter 13: Here is better

***

"How's the book? You said you want to rant about it," Callan said when he got back with our food.

He got us a fish and fries platter, sandwiches, green salad, water, kiwi juice for me, and a refill of coffee for him. He started eating his sandwich in large bites. It looked like he was the dinner person who's starving. I, on the other hand, was horrified to realize that I was once again eating in small, pa-virgin bites. The fuck. I swear one of these days, I'd rant about Callan's effect on me. It's like he has more power over me than what I could have allowed.

Ibinalik ko ang sandwich sa plate at dumampot ng fries. I looked Callan in the eyes. He was still eating zealously and still waiting for my answer.

Well, if truth be told, "I don't feel like ranting about it anymore. Tinatamad na 'ko. I already cried while reading and after reading. I also fixed the redness and puffiness of my eyes, so . . ." Nagkibit-balikat ako.

He was intently looking at my face, it felt like he was looking for drama signs.

"What? Umiyak talaga ako," defensive na sabi ko. "I'm just good with covering it up."

"Hmm. Tingin ko nga."

But my eyes were damn tired, I was almost sleepy. If not for this date and the devil in the house, I might be sleeping on my bed by now with an eye mask on.

A playful smile played on his lips. "If you don't want to rant anymore, then you're here because you want to see me."

I watched his amusement and smiled too. He's getting too confident just because I'm chasing him, huh? Didn't he know I could stop any moment and not tell him about it? But oh, well, I'd let him enjoy me more. "Like you want to see me, baby?"

Nagsukatan kami ng tingin, both of us wearing stupid smiles it's almost stupid. But it's such a treat to banter and flirt with him like this, I'd risk the stupid.

"Come on. Don't deny it. I could've ranted on the phone," I told him. "Why ask me out?"

"You could've ranted on the phone," ganti niya. "Why come here?""

Nagkibit-balikat ako. "I'm bored at home . . ." I said in a sing-song.

Lalo lang lumapad ang ngiti niya. "No, baby. You're here because here is better."

"Are you sure about that?"

"You are sure about it."

I laughed softly and shook my head. "You know what . . . I think we could play dodge ball forever and won't get bored at all."

Mahina rin siyang tumawa. "Tell me about your day, then."

I sipped on my kiwi juice. As the cold drink teased my tongue, the coldness of the shop piqued a shiver. Malamig talaga sa pesteng lugar na 'to. Hindi ba need magtipid sa kuryente ng may-ari?

I thought about my day to distract myself from the cold. "Hmm. Inirampa namin 'yong denim creation kanina sa class ni Miss delos Santos. It's the most boring class ever, I swear, someone else must have suggested about the upcycling and the catwalk. Wala sa character ni Miss delos Santos ang makaisip nang gano'n," I started.

"Hmm. What did you create?" he asked.

I looked at him, trying to read if he was really interested. He was all eyes on me—unblinking and curious.

"Mine's a denim bikini. It's hi-cut on the legs and strapless. Zia's a crop top. Rel's a skirt jumper. Amber's a poncho. As expected, Amber aced the designing. That poks could design from anything. Hands down."