Chapter 12: First . . . date?

***

It's too late when I realized that I sounded too eager to meet Callan. But well, who could blame me? It's the first time I'd be seeing him out of all the usual places I had seen him. I'm curious about how he'd look. It would also be unnatural if I tried to be pakipot, because I'm not that kind. I go for what I want without second thoughts. If I'd regret it later, that's for later.

For our first date (yeah, yuck, I'm considering it a date even though I'm just going out to rant and he's just having coffee), I wore a scalloped blush dress. The bodice was lace and flaunting my chest. I had to let the bra go. The skirt was satin and flaunting my legs. I paired it with my D&G stiletto to achieve the long leg silhouette. Inilagay ko lang ang lipstick, packet ng wet wipes, tube ng hand lotion, wallet, at cards ko sa isang decorated wristlet. Then I grabbed my phone and went out of my room.

Nakasalubong kong papasok sa bahay si Tito Lowell. I had no intention to stop for him but he blocked my way. He gave me a once-over and a disgusting smirk appeared on his face. Humigpit ang hawak ko sa phone ko.

"Can you please stop blocking me?" bored na sabi ko. I tried my best to look at his face than at the blue string pouch he was holding. It's his drug bag. This son of a bitch.

He licked his lower lip, his eyes intent on my breasts. "Where are you going? A date? Having sex?"

"It's none of your business." Sumubok akong humakbang pero humarang siya. "What the fuck!"

"You're prettier than Sabrina," sabi niya.

I gritted my teeth. It's evident in his eyes that he's still stoned. Galing na ba siya sa paggamit o gagamit pa lang at dito pa talaga sa loob ng bahay? What the hell! And the fucking devil had the audacity to compare me to my sister!

"She always looked innocent but—"

Itinulak ko siya gamit ang buong bigat ko. I don't want my hands on him but I had to do something to get him out of my way. Napaurong siya at muntik mawalan ng balanse. I used the chance to walk past him.

"I don't have the time to talk to you," nagpupuyos na sabi ko.

"Hey, Monique . . ."

Nilakihan ko ang mga hakbang ko. It was hard to breathe with the anger stirring in my veins. Kahit nang makalabas ako ng bahay at matagpuang naroon na ang Grab car ko, hindi pa rin ako makalma.

Why is that devil still at the house? I already told Dad to drag him out. Busy na naman ba siya? Lagi na lang busy? What the fuck.

Habang tumatakbo ang kotse ay tinawagan ko si Mommy.

"Where are you, Mom?"

"At a restaurant with your Tita Mabel and Rocsan. Why? Is there something wrong?" aniya.

I could sense her worry over the phone. She's not like this before but after what happened to Sabrina . . .

"It's best not to go home. Tito's"—I gritted my teeth again before taking a deep breath—"carrying his blue pouch."

I don't have to hear it to know that she gasped. "Are you . . . are you okay, love? Saan tayo magkikita? Ayos ka lang ba? May—may ginawa ba siya . . .?" Her voice was already breaking with worry.

Napakagat ako sa labi ko at napapikit nang mariin bago sumagot, "I was on my way out when I saw him. He didn't do anything." But just in case, I should buy pepper spray soon. "I'm meeting someone tonight."

Sandaling natahimik si Mommy sa linya. "Are you spending the night with your friend?"

Hah, I wished. Callan being Callan wouldn't let me. "Hindi po. Siguro . . ."