CHAPTER ONE

I walk down the road alone as usual. I stand in the entrance of the school, bracing myself for the hell people call school. I take a few breaths before entering the school. I walk down the hallway seeing other children socializing with their friends while I wish I had my own. I pull out my books, close my locker and start the walk to my first class. I walk quickly hoping I won't see Will but as always luck was not on my side.

"Hey there Thami. You weren't planning to leave before seeing your favorite person now were you?"
William says touching his chest as if he was hurt by my actions.

"Hey William. As much as I love our talks and you know I don't, I'm late for my class so bye."
I say before turning on my heels and heading to class.

"Why are you leaving so soon?"
He pulls me back to him just to get a great view of that smirk.

"Because it seems like your a little deaf today I will repeat it for you. I am late for class."
I say looking him straight in the eyes.

"What did you say?"
He says with rage present in his tone. Thami why do you have to make the bully angry, well there's no turning back now.

"I said are you....."
I hear a hand connect with my cheeks before I can finish my sentence. I wince in pain before glaring at William who smirks when he sees my reaction. He then throws a punch right to my stomach making me bend down in pain as I slightly feel out of breath. He starts kicking me until I fall to the ground. He looks at me with disgust before spitting in my face.

I pick myself up ignoring the crowd of students laughing at me. I bite back the tears as I pick up my books. I run to the toilets, get in one of the stalls before crying my eyes out. I don't know why they even hate me. After crying for what felt like hours, I wipe the tears and put on some make up to hide the bruises. I fix myself up before walking out of the toilets to an empty hallway. I sigh in relief as I walk to my first class.

I walk in the classroom, apologize to the teacher for being late and go and take my seat on the back of the class in the corner. I put down my bag, take out my books and put on my earphones. I wasn't the stereotypical high school nerd, I didn't wear glasses and i didn't overly love learning.  I just was the type of girl who never really participated in class. I just listen to music, write some notes and get out of class. I never really had any friends, i guess nobody wants to be friends with a nerd like me.

I increase the volume  when the teacher starts speaking.

"The class is almost over, just take your test papers on your way out."
Miss banks our math teacher says with a smile. A minute after the bell rings causing all the kids to run out of the class. I wait until everyone is gone before picking up my bag and go to the front to take my test paper.

"Well done Thami, you got a perfect score. Keep up the good work."
The teacher says handing me my paper. I give her a small smile before walking out of the class. Now off to my second class.

~time skip~

I walk out of my class, head to my locker and take the books I need for my homework and close my locker. If I'm lucky I might just leave the school without having to face William. Before I could even walk away someone slams my head on my locker. I groan in pain as I see red drops fall on the ground. Fuck am I bleeding?

"That's my goodbye to you bitch. See you tomorrow."
I hear William say near the entrance  of the school. I cover my bloody nose as I walk to the bathroom. I  wipe the blood off with the tissues. I look at the bruises in the mirror and just break out in tears. I HATE MY LIFE.

I wipe the tears away. Put on my make up to hide the bruises before walking out of the toilet. I walk out of the bathroom and start walking down the hallway. I usually leave late in the afternoon when it's just me and the janitor in the school. The school seems so peaceful when there are no students crowding the halls.

I hate the noise and the crowding because I usually feel like I can't breathe. I can't say I also love the silence because it usually leads to thinking and I end up thinking not so sunny thoughts.

I open the door to be welcomed by the smell of my mom's wonderful spaghetti and meatballs. I would say their special but things are not that special if anyone  can buy them in the store for R150.

"Sawubona." (Hi.)
I say as I throw my bag on the floor. My mom glares at my bag and I immediately pick it up.

"Hi."
My mom says giving me a small smile.

"Ufikenini " (When did u arrive?)
You know our routine has always been the same. I come home, greet her. She asks me when did I arrive, I tell her not long. Then she offers me food.

"Ngiqedukufika." (I just arrived.)

You see.

"Do u want food, I especially ordered it in that new place across the street."

You see.

"Yeah, thank you."
I say before rushing up stairs to my room.

I throw my bag on my bed and rush down stairs to the living room. I take a sit as I watch my mother serve the food. I would offer to help but she owes me for making me watch her dance with a mop that one time.

"How was school?"
My mom asks snapping me out of my terrible thoughts.

"It was fun. I was just sitting with my friends."
I say avoiding my mom's gaze.

"You should come home with them sometime."

"Sure"

If they actually existed.

"Kuyashisa yazi cela uvule amawindi." (It's hot in here, please open the windows.)

"Mom the windows are too far,  just take off your jersey."
I whine hoping my mom will let me eat my spaghetti in peace and luckily it works.

"you know what nevermind, it's not that hot."

"Kungani ungafuni ukukhumula ijezi?"  (Why don't you want to take off your jersey?)

"No i just dont think it's that hot."
My mom says avoiding my gaze. Hey that's what i do when I'm hiding something.

"But you just told me to open the windows."

"Yeah and i changed my mind."

"You don't want to take off that jersey because it's the only thing with long sleeves your wearing, right."

"What's your point exactly?"

"Ukushayile futhi angithi?" (He hit you again didn't he?)

"Cha!" (No!)

"Really. So he was too tired to hit you last  night or did he finally stop treating you like trash!"

"Nomathamsanqa!!"

"What mom?  Isn't it true. I hate him and I hate you more for staying with him and making me experience the same pain you  do!!"
I shout before leaving the table to head to my room.

"What about your dinner."
My mom finally says after a short while.

"I lost my appetite."

Hey guys this is finally and officially the first chapter of Nomathamsanqa.

Well it's obviously clear that Thami gets bullied at school and lies to her mother about having friends and still has to deal with an abusive dad. That's a lot for a teenage girl.

Well guys as you can tell Thami's family usually speaks ISIZULU. So I will make sure to write what their saying.

THANK you so much for  reading my story. It means a lot. Please remember to vote and leave a comment.