Chapter 40: Miracles do exist

I had never seen these people, but they were Orion's men. Ursa and the twins fought again. I ran to the truck behind Max to get a gun. One of the EH threw one of the guys out with one blow and came out after me, catching me immediately and making me cry in shock. 

As Sirius warned me so many times, my life could end just like that, but something hit us, and I fell to the ground. One of the brothers had rammed us and bit the EH, rolling on the floor.

I kept running. Max had already made it to the truck and pulled the gun that had the steel cable, aimed at something behind me, and I wanted to move off the way, but something hit me hard. I was screaming so loud that I didn't even recognize myself when I realized. The evolved man bit my arm, and it was the most horrible pain I had ever felt. Those four fangs were buried in my flesh, exerting intense pressure as he growled wildly, keeping me against the ground and knocking me out of breath with his weight.

Max hit him with the weapon to get him to let me go, but the evolved tightened the bite, making me scream and kick more. I could swear that those fangs grazed my bone and were about to break it like a stick. One of the twins fell on top, crushing me more for a few seconds, to bite the EH in the jugular, and he released me to turn and hit his attacker.

I squeezed my arm, crying; the pain was intense, and the wound was bleeding a lot. Max helped me to my feet while the evolved and the twin fought wildly. The EH managed to bite him on the side, making him scream while he pulled hard, ripping flesh.

"NO! LEAVE HIM ALONE!" I screamed.

I staggered, feeling like I'd pass out, but shook my head. I realized the tears of pain were running down my cheeks and cleaned them up.

Now more than ever, I could imagine the pain they felt. My guts had constantly been churning with despair when Sirius suffered such an attack. I took a gun and aimed at him, but Max held my arms.

"You won't be able to hit him. Leave it to me. Here..." He gave me the weapon with the electric cable. "Go with the others, now!" he ordered.

I ran as fast as possible, squeezing my arm, which hurt like hell. Ursa and the twin mercilessly attacked the other EH while Symphony watched, almost stunned. By God, this girl was doing nothing.

"Ursa, separate him from you!" I said as I readied the gun.

They both started trying to beat him pushing him away, but that man was big and strong. He managed to bite Ursa on the forearm and was rammed by the twin who bit his shoulder. The EH hit him, throwing him a couple of feet away. The boy crouched down quickly and lunged for the attack again. This would not work.

"Symphony, please help," I asked, going into despair. She looked at me, scared. We both shuddered at the cry of the twin who had protected Ursa from another bite. "Do what Sirius taught you! He taught you to fight, right?!"

The girl nodded. We heard a growl from behind, and soon the other twin had come to help too, although he was bleeding quite a bit. A few seconds later, Max appeared at my side with another weapon. To my surprise, Symphony went on the attack as well.

They coincided in such a way that they all ended up pushing and hitting the foe simultaneously, and the EH fell to a couple of feet. He wanted to get to his feet with a feline's agility, but I fired. Again, the gun made me take a couple of steps back. How useless I was being!

Luckily for me, the cable tangled around his neck, electrocuting him right away and making him fall before he managed to get awfully close to the others again. The boys were breathing a bit agitated. The stabbing pain made me squeeze my arm again. I hadn't noticed that it was still bleeding.