Chapter Fourteen - 'Surreal.'

‘You know what I love?’ Hermione asked as they lay near the lake with their hands behind their heads and stared up at the stars. Draco turned so that he could look at her, his eyes were the same grey/silver as the stars. Hermione glanced at him with a constant smile on her face.

‘Let me guess... flying with me on my broom?’ Draco asked, glancing at the broomstick that lay beside them. It was absolutely stunning to look at, in Draco’s eyes. The handle was a slick brown and tapered off at the end so that it looked like a finishing point. There was not a bristle out of place and the wood was not scratched at all, ‘looks brand new, it does.’

‘No, I was so scared you’d drop me!’ Hermione’s eyes widened at the thought of riding on his broom again.

After their not so brief kiss, Draco had pulled away and chuckled when Hermione clung onto her breath and also clung onto his shirt. The once immaculately groomed Draco Malfoy now did not care about how there were so many creases in his trousers and shirt which Hermione thought was a great achievement. A mischievous glint had appeared in his eyes as he told Hermione to get on the broom behind him after their kiss. After the many qualms of flying with a Malfoy erupted in Hermione’s brain, she gave up.

She climbed onto the broom and he rose higher and higher, his famous smirk still lit his face as he told her to wrap her arms around his waist. Hermione did as she was told and couldn’t help but thank Quidditch and whatever else he did to get abs like he had. She became red at her thoughts but soon she was flying through the air at break neck speed. Draco had turned to do a loop de loop and she screamed loud enough to wake the entire castle – although they were still sound asleep, thankfully. Draco had led her to the lake and now they lay side by side, with Draco’s hand resting in her own, and stared up at the stars.

‘It was quite funny when I flew over the lake and nearly landed but you screamed at me to land on the grass instead. I still don’t see what’s wrong with landing on a frozen lake,’ Draco shook his head at her, ‘I think I may be deaf with all your screaming tonight... and it’s not even the good kind of screaming.’

‘Is there ever a good kind of screaming?’ Hermione asked. He turned to her with his eyebrows raised as though trying to tell her what he meant through his eyes. Hermione just frowned at him, ‘what?’

‘I can show you the good kind of screaming, if you want,’ Draco muttered and leaned forwards to kiss her. Hermione, finally understanding what he meant, turned a bright shade of red and Draco chuckled before lying back down, ‘your innocence gets me every time.’

‘Shut up, Malfoy,’ Hermione muttered and stared up at the stars. The stars seemed to dance across the sky and shone down on them, looking brighter than ever before. Hermione smiled, ‘come on. Keep on guessing.’

‘You love... spending time with me here whilst everyone else is sleeping up at the castle?’ asked Draco, turning his head to her. Hermione turned to look at him too and she smiled, nodding. Draco kissed her lips softly, ‘too bad this won’t last.’

‘What...’ Hermione frowned at him; must he ruin the moment? Draco sighed, looking away from her eyes and up to the stars again. Hermione shivered a little although it wasn’t even cold due to the spell that Draco had used. Even the lake was starting to unfreeze now. She sighed, ‘what do you mean, Malfoy?’

‘I mean, Granger,’ Draco sat up and ran a hand through his hair which did nothing to tame the golden locks. They still stood up around his head but he didn't care. Hermione sat up too and stared at the side of his face as he sighed, ‘that something will come between us and we’ll either have a fight again or we’ll have no choice but to leave each other.’