Chapter Eighteen - 'Epitome of stubborn!'

The morning that followed the awful, and strangely pleasing, detention was quite a sunny one. The sun streamed right onto the grass without the barrier of clouds in the sky to block it out and it seemed as though everyone woke with the intention of going out into the sun right after their classes.

Hermione, was not one of them.

As she walked down the corridor towards her last class, which was potions with Slughorn, she kept her head down. A few people glanced at her, giggling with their friends behind their hands about the news that Hermione Granger had a detention for the first time last night. Hermione just sighed and walked on, thinking about the fact that no one had anything better to do than picture just how Hermione, supposedly the smartest person of their generation, got stuck in a cupboard with Draco and then got detention. Hogwarts: the castle where rumours spread faster than a fire.

So, Hermione wasn’t looking forward to spending time outside of Hogwarts even though it was a Friday, especially after potions. Walking into the class, on time, thankfully, Hermione glanced at Draco when she took her seat. Sitting in the row in front and to the right, so she could see the side of his face, was Draco and sitting next to him was Pansy. In front of them, as the desks were sorted in rows today, were Zabini, Crabbe and Goyle.

‘Hey, Hermione,’ Harry took the seat next to her, arriving a little later than her, and Ron was right behind them. Ron sat at her left side and Harry occupied the right side. Hermione gave them both a smile and got her books out, ‘you weren’t at breakfast or lunch today.’

‘I wasn’t really hungry and I decided to catch up on my reading,’ Hermione said, thinking about the book she had picked out in the library. Harry just nodded and Hermione opened up her book, ‘when will people stop staring at me?’

‘They just don’t have anything to talk about at the moment. Don’t worry, as soon as another situation comes up, they’ll forget all about you,’ Harry said, yawning behind his hand. He looked tired and Hermione put it down to probably being with Dumbledore for his sessions.

‘Hopefully,’ Hermione sighed as Slughorn walked down between the desks and got to the black board. He waved his wand and the chalk moved across the board rapidly.

The rest of that period went by fairly slow. Slughorn was determined to give them a writing lesson rather than a practical one because of the ‘previous lesson’ as he so wretchedly put it. The class smirked and laughed, turning to Hermione, as though they had synchronised it, rather than towards Draco. Hermione immediately lowered her gaze and blushed vividly, not used to the eyes of so many being on her.

After that part was over, the whole class was set on getting the notes down as Slughorn talked so fast. Hermione, struggling to catch up since Ron kept leaning over to peak at her notes whenever he missed the end of Slughorn’s sentence, glanced up and she caught Draco’s eyes which were looking right at her and he wasn’t bothering to take any notes. She half raised her eyebrows in question as to what he wanted, and then smirked a little. Draco rolled his eyes and gestured to Pansy who was, as Hermione had seen her do many times previously, sliding her hand along his thigh. Draco gave her an ‘I’m sorry’ look as though he couldn’t help it.

Hermione thought of the picture which she was so sure that Pansy had taken that night. She had basically memorised the letter and she read it over in her mind:

Malfoy,

Hearing the word ‘Mudblood’ drop from your tongue like a second language was quite infuriating but what’s more infuriating is watching you kiss that ‘mudblood’! Is that the new past time? What happened to killing innocent people, torturing them? That’s what you and your family do, right?