Chapter Five - 'Fine, it's a date!'

Granger,

You better be ready! Meet me outside the Great Hall in twenty minutes. Wear something warm since it’ll be freezing outside and I won’t give you my jacket, not joking.

D.M

Hermione had received this letter twenty minutes ago and had rushed to the window to let the owl fly into the room. At first she thought it was another gift but of course it wasn’t. She had accepted presents from Harry, Ron, and her parents since it was Christmas tomorrow and they would probably be too busy to send her presents on Christmas day. Her parents had gifted her a scarf that she wrapped around her neck and it instantly warmed her up as though it was the summer; she loved it. Harry had gifted her a book that she had wanted and Ron gave her chocolates, the same thing that Hermione gave him. She was about to bin the chocolates but couldn’t bring herself to; a gift was a gift.

Hermione was ready in the dressed sense. She wore a woolly jumper that seemed to cuddle her up in a huge cloud, keeping her warm. The red scarf that her parents had gifted her was secured around her neck and she wore tight jeans since she couldn't think of anything else to wear. Hermione also had her black boots on and some red gloves that matched her scarf. She was walking down the stairs at an incredibly slow pace, her nerves seemed to be controlling her. She didn't think twice of whether Draco would like her outfit or not; she didn’t really care. He had seen her through her many awkward phases so she might as well just be herself.

Hermione rubbed her hands together as she walked down the staircase. The friction between her palms made her a little more comfortable and warm. But she was really nervous about this... date with Draco Malfoy. For the first time in a while, Hermione Granger was acting on desire rather than logic. Logic would scream at her not to leave the castle with ‘the enemy’ since he could have – although Hermione thought this piece of news was rubbish – hexed Katie Bell. Desire wanted her to leave the castle with him and have a little fun.

‘Well, desire, you win today,’ Hermione muttered and she walked down the hallway, her boots making brisk tapping sounds on the clean floor.

Hermione finally arrived outside the Great Hall and looked around, expecting Draco to be there but he wasn’t. She peered into the Great Hall to see that even the long house tables were void of anyone. Where was he...? Then it hit Hermione, the realisation came onto her suddenly and she couldn't believe she had fallen for it. Draco Malfoy had stood her up; of course he had.

Why would he want to go to Hogsmeade with Hermione, whom he thought to be a mudblood. Hermione’s face fell drastically and she looked around once more, keeping the hope alive but she knew too well that he would be teasing her about this for ages. She could hear him now: Granger, you are so naive! You really think I would go on a date with you?! Then he would laugh at her and Hermione would blush furiously like she usually did when he teased her. Hermione bunched up her fists, Merlin, that slick little git! I hate-

Hermione was yanked out of her thoughts when she felt two hard hands grasp her shoulders quite tightly. Her blood went cold and her first instinct was to reach for her wand; but she couldn’t get to it. The hands were on her shoulder for less than a second when Hermione started to scream at the top of her lungs and she closed her eyes tight as though hoping the enemy wouldn’t kill her if she couldn’t see. A hand clasped around her mouth, muffling her screams, and she was turned around.

‘Open your bloody eyes, Granger.’

‘Malfoy!’ Hermione shouted, her eyes shot open to stare at the boy in front of her then she exclaimed in surprise, ‘you’re here!’

‘You seem shocked,’ Draco narrowed his eyes at her and then he smirked, ‘were you expecting me not to show up?’

‘No... I... let’s just go,’ Hermione said, looking behind her to the huge doors that left Hogwarts. She turned back to Draco and stared at him, not leaving his eyes, ‘let’s go!’