Chapter Fifteen - 'Blood rather than water.'

‘Not now,’ Hermione muttered as the girl next to her turned around to ask her something about the homework she held in her hands. The girl, another Gryffindor that Hermione shared a few classes with, sighed and started to pack her books away. Hermione didn't look at her, her mind was occupied by other issues.

Hermione placed her books into her bag and watched as everyone left the potions classroom. Slughorn was still trying to clear up the sticky mess on the floor and Hermione was sure she would have offered to help if it had been any other time. Right now, she walked straight past the professor and out the door. Harry and Ron were walking ahead of her so she slowed down until they were a safe distance away and then started to walk again.

‘Hey, Hermione,’ Ginny Weasley caught up with her and Hermione controlled the incredibly unnatural, for her, urge to roll her eyes.

‘Hey, Ginny,’ she muttered back, wishing she would just carry on walking but she did not. Of course, Ginny fell into step beside Hermione and they walked together. Hermione didn't look at the younger girl, ‘is there something you wanted, Ginny?’

‘No... I wanted to ask you a question, actually. May I?’ she asked and Hermione stopped in her tracks. She didn't exactly have anywhere special to go so she faced Ginny who had stopped too.

‘Sure, Ginny,’ Hermione urged her on, crossing her arms over her chest, ‘what is it?’

There was a first year who rushed past them and Ginny stared at the boy for a second. Hermione frowned at her and turned but the first year boy had raced away, probably to his common room. She coughed slightly, capturing Ginny’s attention again. Ginny turned her eyes onto Hermione and gave her a helpless sigh; it seemed like she had put this off for too long.

‘Harry... Harry’s really stressed, you know?’ Ginny started awkwardly. Hermione, who was staring at her with her eyebrows raised, had no idea if this was the question she wanted to ask and why she was bringing up Harry into their conversation. She waited for her to elaborate and Ginny sighed, ‘he was talking about you in the common room the other day.’

About me?’ Hermione asked, frowning now. She gulped slightly, her heart thumping faster. She thought Harry was supposed to be her friend! Hermione shook her head but she did not disagree with Ginny, ‘what exactly was he saying?’

‘Well, he was talking to Ron and I sort of over heard. He was talking about how you won’t tell him things that he needs to know and he also said he doesn’t trust you anymore. I left before I could hear anything more,’ Ginny said, looking at Hermione as though it was painful to even talk about this. Hermione’s frown deepened into her forehead as her head pounded against her skull. She raised a hand to her head, sighed and closed her eyes.

‘You said you had a question to ask?’ Hermione said, a little rude, as she opened her eyes again to look at Ginny.

‘Well, I was wondering if you could talk to Harry about this? I mean, he’s really upset and seems not to like you. I can’t remember the last time you two had a fight or even if you ever had a fight. So will you talk to him?’ Ginny asked hopefully. She bit her lip as Hermione raised her eyebrows at her. Ginny shrank back a little and her lips went white since she bit them so hard.

‘Why do you want me to talk to him? I’m sorry, Ginny, but I don’t think this is any of your business,’ Hermione said, grimacing at the younger girl. Hermione didn't know why Ginny even cared if her and Harry were having a fight. Surely this fight was between her and Harry, she had no right to comment on it at all. Ginny didn't say anything and only placed her hair behind her ear. Hermione clutched her bag tighter, ‘now, if you don’t mind, I have to leave.’