C.13

~••Ambrosia••~

~••Ambrosia••~

Salazar Slytherin was a man larger than life while living and colder than the deathly hands that encased him in his demise. With great reluctance, he could admit that he became bitter over his time of self-imposed isolation while alive. Especially, after his quite reasonable apprehension about muggleborn children going to Hogwarts had him faced with disdain from the very three he built a future with.

The looks of horror he received at the proposal were hurtful and a cold realization seeped through him as he realized they couldn't- no wouldn't understand. Not even Rowena, the bookworm out of all four of them, because it really wouldn't become a problem until centuries after they all croaked.

Yes, he was a bitter man because he gave them his trust only to have it thrown back to him mangled beyond repair. So much so, he was filled with dread just at the thought of offering it up again. It was irrational, he knew that too, but it was human and no amount of magic would get rid of that part of him. He's tried.

Having his closest friends think the absolute worst of him made him into who he was today. A dead, bitter painting with a penchant for terrorizing children.

"You don't understand how long I've been waiting for a Heir of mine to find and open that chamber." The great Salazar Slytherin said nonchalantly, shifting in his portrait as if he hadn't shocked the two children into a state.

"It wasn't supposed to take so long but I hope the wait was worth it? Which one of you is my heir? Although, the both of you seem to be quite powerful for your age." He expertly hid the surprise he felt that two first years managed to find his chamber. He had first hand experience with how big the school was, he helped built it after all. Pride filled him soon after, of course it wouldn't take his heir too long.

The boy snapped out of his shock first, which was surprisingly well hidden, stepping forward and dipping his head respectfully, "I, Tom Riddle, am the heir of Slytherin, sir." Salazar eyed the girl that walked in with his heir. Even had him publicly, of course unknowingly, displaying his affections. He found himself intrigued with the almost jaded blue eyes that openly stared up at his portrait.

The surprise in her eyes wasn't too well hidden to someone who had good experience figuring out someone like Rowena Ravenclaw. But he could suppose meeting the talking portrait of Salazar Slytherin himself would be something you don't really anticipate. He was ten centuries old going on his first millennia and the last time he had spoken was to scare the absolute shit out of some aggressively snogging third years about a decade ago.

"And who might you be?" He might have failed to hide the interest practically dripping from his voice. "I am Irene Black-Potter, Heiress of both houses Black and Potter, sir." So, he matched a name to the face as she step forward to stand beside Tom and dipped her head respectfully. They were only in first year and it was almost laughable how much shorter she was than Tom already.