C3

Entering Flashback:

The halls reeked of fresh paint, the lockers gleaming in a newly coated sage. The dirt marks and immature scribbles which had been engraved on the walls for generations, like prehistoric cave carvings, had all been concealed by layers of gray, gone. Brand new shoes squeaked against the polished floors, and sunshine leaked into the corridor, a teasing reminder that summer was over, and the warmth would only last for the first 2 months of school.

Isolde neatly placed her books on one of the locker's shelves, arranging them from largest to smallest with the spines facing her.

A loud jumble of female voices dominated over the background chaos, all too familiar to Isolde's ears.

She paused, bracing herself before she swiftly traced one of the book spines and slammed her locker shut.

Despite her attempts at escaping them succeeded on the first day, today they proved to be futile.

Isolde spun around to be faced with Savannah, Kiera, and Asia. All three of them had matured over summer break, their skin was no longer breaking out as badly, braces were off and hair coiffed to perfection.

"Isolde!" Savannah shrieked, going in for a hug but Isolde squirmed away. She didn't like being touched.

"You'll never guess what happened between me and Dylan this summer!" Savannah continued, oblivious as usual, but Isolde didn't miss the look on Kiera's face. "I tried texting you about it but you didn't answer."

"We didn't see you yesterday either." Interfered Kiera. "Where were you?" She narrowed her eyes, pushing back one of her cornrow braids with a pastel acrylic nail.

"Anywhere away from you would make sense." Asia rolled her eyes from underneath her black bangs.

Before anymore banter could take place Isolde decided to grab the bull by it's horns.

"Look girls, I know it, you know it, and practically the whole school knows that we, this, is not working out." She blatantly remarked.

The four of them had been friends since eighth grade because back then, popularity mattered and they decided to create a friend group for the purposes of survival and superiority. It was no secret the four of them were very pretty, and they belonged to the top of the food chain, but none of them really shared any interest.

Savannah was the oblivious one, but also the most popular. Her naive nature made her easy to talk to and a minor threat to the other girls. Whatever they said she believed, and just like that she was out of their way, but that also meant she was an easy bait to the boys. The ginger really couldn't see a red flag even if someone waved it in her face.

Kiera on the other hand was an over thinker. The constant speculations made her insecure, triggering a defense mechanism: gossip. In short she was a backstabbing bitch, and a pathological liar. She knew everything about everyone so she wouldn't be hit with any surprise, and manipulated her way into getting what she wanted.

And finally Asia. Asia was smart and witty. The only difference between her and the rest of the smart kids at school was that she couldn't be taken advantage of. She knew how to deal with Kiera and tried to keep Savannah out of trouble. Kiera didn't like not being in control and Savannah felt like she was being bossed around. In all honesty, Asia was the best out of the bunch. The one with aspirations, hopes, dreams, and a boyfriend.

"I mean come on, Savannah you're the theatre kid social butterfly, you barely even hang with us anymore. Kiera your thing is dance and we all know you don't like any of us and Asia I don't even know why you still stick around when you can do much better. Its been 3 years, I think we're all past the queen bee wanna be phase." Isolde proceeds.

"So you're saying we go our separate ways." Asia concludes.

"Do whatever you want but I sure as hell am." And with that said, Isolde simply walks away.

The bell sounds with a shrieking ring just as Isolde passes under one of the speakers.

She had this weird feeling of being followed, like someone was tailing her. She tried discretely glancing out of the corner of her eye at who it was but to no avail.

Instead, she abruptly stopped. Whoever was behind her evidently hadn't expected her to do so, and bumped into her backpack. Had Isolde not been prepared for this, they both would've ended up sprawled on the ground in the middle of the emptying halls.

She spun, inspecting Atlas through lazy eyes while he sat flat on his ass, clearly confused as he scratched his blond head.

His clear blue eyes widened and he offered her an awkward grin, shrugging innocently.

She extended her arm, offering a hand to Atlas. After a moment of suspicion he reached out but was rightfully suspicious as she retracted her hand and turned around once again. A few students passing by snickered at the act, but Atlas ignored them and picked himself up, rushing after Isolde.

"Aren't you a blunt sweetheart." He sarcastically spoke, falling into step with her. She threw a glance at him but didn't necessarily acknowledge his presence. "So hospitable too. So the rumors were true." He nonchalantly said.

Isolde's head finally snapped in his direction with a sickening crack. "What rumors?" She hissed, slightly triggered before she resettled her features to their normal blank expression.

A cheshire smile spread across Atlas's smug face, the corners of his eyes crinkling and exactly 3 wrinkles appearing at the bridge of his nose. Isolde thought he looked like the grinch, somewhere underneath the surface amused by it all.

"Well, I'm not one to judge before meeting the person first hand, but now that you've proved them right, I can believe the rumors." He said as they continued on walking towards class. "You are a cold hearted bitch." He deadpanned.

Something about his tone lead Isolde to believe that he wasn't judging her, rather interested in her.

"And you're a smug nosey motherfucker." Isolde replied, posture straight, nose high up.

"I've been called worse." He raised his eyebrows at her.

"So have I..." She held his gaze. "but I'm curious... who is it that called me that?" She queried, trying her hardest not to sound too interested.

"No one in particular, that's just what I've gathered." Was his vague response.

"And how is it exactly that you did that? It's only the second day." Isolde stopped before her classroom door.

"I'm Atlas." He said, grinch smile back on. "I know everyone and everything." He answered before beating her into the class...

End of Flashback.