The Missing Auror

Dear Draco,

I implore you not to write me anymore. I am content with my life in France and I do not wish to be haunted by ghosts of the past.
Yours, Pansy.

PS. I am sorry about your father.

"Incendio!"

He watched the flame eagerly eating away at the parchment. Pansy was probably the only person Draco had confided in, and she was refusing to help him restore his memories. It was cruel and unfair and he didn't know what he had done to hurt her. Him being queer wasn't that big of a deal. The Blacks had a lot of those in their always pure bloodline, and all of them managed to marry and produce their rightful heirs without any trouble. There must have been someone that he'd fallen for that Pansy did not approve of. But who?

Draco wasn't the only Slytherin to come back for the unofficial eighth year, but most of the people he knew were either in exile, arrested, or dead. He briefly thought of Crabbe and the way that he died in the Room of Requirement.

He often dreamed about being there, falling down into the mouth of a fiery beast, trying to grab something and losing his grip. Draco knew that somehow he managed to survive the fiendfyre, he just didn't remember how. Was that another instance that had been wiped away or was the event so traumatic his brain had shielded him from it? He may never know now.

Aunt Bella had inadvertently taught him how to dissociate, when she Crucioed him until he couldn't remember where he was and why he needed to continue living. She thought it would make him tough, build resistance, but it made him forget, made his mind get stuck on one point, and stop paying attention to anything else.

Draco was stuck on that little glimpse of memory that had burst through the fog. His french cousin... he couldn't recall his name but he remembered how he tasted, how it felt to touch him, how he was aroused by the pliant body in his arms. They'd only fooled around, but Draco thought that maybe there were others. Someone he'd forgotten, someone he was made to forget.

His eagle owl returned with no reply from Blaize later that evening. Perhaps, he was in hiding or had gone to America like he'd wanted to.

Blaize... Maybe it was him that Draco was involved with. He seemed fit and there was a certain charm about him that made girls from different houses swoon and send him arrays of love-letters and charmed sweets.

He started digging through his trunk, trying to find something that might help him, a letter or a photograph, or anything. Draco found an old newspaper clip-out with them on the picture. Zabini widow to be married again, read the title.

Blaize was standing next to him and Pansy: tall handsome, with a charming smile, and yet there wasn't anything that would suggest that he and Draco were an item. He noticed another Slytherin student in the crowd close to them. Theodore Nott.

Draco smiled, maybe he would get his answer after all.

"Theo," he grabbed the boy by the forearm and dragged him into a secluded alcove.

"What do you want, Malfoy?" Nott grumbled, trying to look for his wand.

"I need you to tell me something, it would only be a minute..." Draco said, quickly disarming him.

"Get off of me, you faggot!" Theodore whined angrily.

Malfoy paused. So he wasn't imagining it. It was true. Well, at least he knew that Nott was not connected to him whatsoever.

"Tell me... Me and Zabini... were we? you know... involved?" he asked quietly.

"Not in denial anymore, are you?" Theo smirked, trying to pry Draco's fingers away from his robes.