House Unrest

The beetle-green Ministry Ford Model B was waiting for him outside, a couple of grim-looking Aurors were standing next to it radiating authority. Draco took the box of personal things and sat in the back seat not meeting the eyes of his convoy men. The young witch sat next to him smiling apologetically, her wand never leaving her tight grip and pointing at his heart. For her, he probably looked like a dangerous criminal, an offspring of a Death Eater, a venomous animal ready to attack at any moment.

Draco glanced at his expression in the rearview mirror and saw a malnourished, exhausted husk, gaunt haunted eyes, and unkempt dirty hair. He needed a bath and a proper meal and then he needed his drugs. He would turn his Aunts' house upside down but he would find something, anything that would bring him a momentary feeling of oblivion.

Tonks' residence never impressed him like Malfoy Manor did even though Draco had spent almost all his life living there. The garden was small but well-kept and the house itself was smart, nicely-furnished although without any grandeur and snobbish love for antiques. He remembered that now it was his home, the Manor being torn down piece by piece and sold off at auctions or pocketed by the greedy Ministry clerks.

"Mr. Malfoy, you are not permitted to leave the grounds of this residence under any circumstances, excluding life-threatening situations," the female Auror read from her notes, "The floo network and your owl correspondence will be monitored 24/7, as well as anti-apparition wards, will be set up to ensure your compliance to the rules. Your mother and aunt are free to report any illegal activities you may conduct and if you fail to follow the release agreement it will be terminated and you will be sentenced to a five-year imprisonment in Azkaban."

Draco felt he was just given a bigger cell. He stepped out of the car and into his mother's tight embrace, the Auror reluctantly returned his wand and a box of his measly possessions and after the wizards cast a few necessary spells the Ministry vehicle was gone.

"My love, you are finally home," Narcissa whispered, kissing his forehead and steering him towards the front door.

He could see aunt Andromeda in the window, a sad smile on her beautiful face. She had Blacks' strong jawline and deep-set eyes but her kind expression was completely different from her older sister Bellatrix whom she resembled.

As soon as Draco had his long-awaited bath and meal he wanted to go to sleep. Thankfully his mother did not try to pester him that much, she probably understood from his grim appearance that he didn't want to talk about anything that much.

"You look a lot like him," she said softly, straightening his robes that were too loose for him since his imprisonment, "Your father was a strong-willed man, even if you don't think so, but the prison broke him... Please don't ruminate over what happened, don't let it haunt you. My boy, you have been through so much already."

Draco kissed her cheek and wiped away a stray tear there, he had never seen his mother like this, not even in the darkest days of the war. He understood that without Lucius she lost her footing and he was her only support. He did not have any delusions about his father anymore. He was a coward and a fool and he relied on Malfoys' deep pockets more than on being a decent person.

"I will try, mother," he replied.

"The Greengrass broke off the engagement as soon as they heard about your arrest," Narcissa huffed angrily. "And to think of it! That girl had been going behind her father's back with a muggle! We were doing them a service by agreeing to that marriage!"

"Mum," Draco started slowly, trying to read her mood, "You do know that I did not intend to marry... a woman."

"Oh, that silly thing..." she laughed for a moment but stopped when she saw his hurt expression. "I know, darling. I know..."