Painless Poppy Philtre

"WAR ORPHANS ENTERTAINED BY DEATH EATER! POTTER COMPLICIT?"

The title screamed at him from every Daily Prophet. Harry walked tiredly to the Great Hall that morning, followed by the familiar whispering of students. He sat next to Ron and Hermione who defiantly refused to read whatever rubbish the paper had published.

He still saw grainy Malfoy's face everywhere, an attractive smile on his face, bowing on the stage, followed by his mugshot from DMLE exhausted vacant eyes and withered complexion. The next picture made a flush creep upon his cheeks and neck - they were standing close together: the Slytherin smirking and taking a drag on his cigarette, Harry laughing at something and looking a bit smitten. The image was disturbingly honest, and he wanted to incinerate every single copy of it. The git was notably missing from the Slytherin table and Harry thanked Merlin from small mercies.

"At least the Wizarding Symphonic Orchestra had donated a lot of galleons to St. Barbara's," Luna waltzed from the Ravenclaw table and gave him a sympathetic smile. "My father interviewed the conductor and he was moved by Draco's performance.'

"Thank you, Luna," Harry said, "I was there only to see Teddy though."

"Oh, I know it's supposed to be a big secret," she whispered dramatically.

The whispers followed him all the way to the Potions class, Harry was glad to see that Ron had saved him a seat and was about to take out his ingredients when he heard Slughorn scolding somebody in the corridor.

"You should be going to the hospital wing... you will smear blood all over the place!"

"It is fine, professor... I can heal it myself." a familiar voice answered briskly and Malfoy walked into the classroom, his jaw clenched a deep cut and a bruise blooming under one eye, nose bleeding. He walked up to surprised Hermione and whispered something to her, she stood up from their table, scooping up her things, and moved towards the end of the classroom to sit next to him.

"What the hell, Mione..." Ron called incredulously.

"Ronald, I told you that I would be working on the Memory restoring elixir. Well, Malfoy is my partner on this project," she huffed and flicked a quick Episkey at Slytherin's sore face.

He curtly nodded at her, avoiding Ron's death glare.

"Everybody, settle down! It is time for you to pick out your N.E.W.T potion projects, Miss Granger here and Mr... Malfoy have already decided to work on a memory-related subject, an admirable goal. For the rest of you: the deadline is next week, you need to decide upon which potion you need to complete in the following two months. It must be a N.E.W.T. level and get at least an Acceptable for you to pass this course".

"Two months... Harry," the ginger complained, "My girlfriend will be fraternizing with the ferret for two months!"

"It's just a project," he shook his head.

The rest of the class Harry had spent pretending to look through potion books while musing about the nature of the Slytherin's injuries. The Malfoy of the past would make a big deal out of it and ensure that his father hears about this. But Lucius Malfoy was no more and Draco was way quieter and lonelier this year. Most of his former associates in exile or hiding. He wondered if the git had gotten into the fight with someone and was it because of that article.

"At least tell me that Ginny accidentally took the Elixir of Insanity and you don't fancy him," Ron asked after a while, glaring at the blonde.
"Ron... I'm begging you, don't start with this..." Harry exhaled tiredly.

"She is trying to be more considerate... But you've really hurt her. You need to sort it out, mate. She still thinks there might be some chance for her so that's why she's acting out. Trying to get your attention," his friend explained.