The Withdrawal

"Blimey, Harry! How did Hermione and you manage to get yourself a month of detention?" Ron asked him incredulously, trying to keep his silent Protego long enough.

They were practicing all the N.E.W.T. - related spells in the Defence Against the Dark Arts class. Instead of one teacher a different instructor from DMLE each month was teaching them new incantations and techniques. Auror Proudfoot was supervising today and he divided them into pairs to duel.

"Long story. Nott was plotting something against Malfoy and it was... somehow related to me as well," Harry threw a successful offensive jinx at Ron, while he was distracted.

"That bloody ferret. First he gets Hermione to brew potions with him and now you get a detention because of him." said the ginger, giving the Slytherin a nasty glare across the room, "Not to mention that the git fancied you!"

"He doesn't know about it," Harry shushed him. "And I want to keep that way!"

"Do you reckon, if he's forgotten that he is a poof he might try to make a pass at Hermione? They have been too chummy recently..."

"I don't think this is something you can forget that easily, Ron," he replied gravely.

"But I will keep an eye on him, just you know, to be sure," his friend glared and Malfoy once again.

Then the Slytherin looked at them and mouthed "What?", Harry just shrugged.

At the end of their class they all received Pamphlet about Special Auror Training Courses and what knowledge was required for them to be eligible to enter. The Gryffindor was happy to note that most spells were already familiar to him because of the D.A.

"Patronus Charm... I guess some of us can kiss their career goodbye," Ron mused, going through the booklet.

"Are you talking about Malfoy again?" Harry shook his head. He was trying his best to stay civil with the Slytherin, however, all things considered he should have been trying to keep his distance.

"The tosser is a bit mental, putting his name on the DMLE applicants list. Everyone knows he won't be able to produce a Patronus," the ginger snickered.

"What do you mean?" he asked his friend curiously.

"He's Marked, Harry... Dark wizards aren't able to cast it. This is what he gets for being in cahoots with old Voldie there."

"But Snape could do it," Harry protested. "I remember..."

"Snape turned out to be a good guy, and besides look at him..." Ron gestured to Malfoy sitting alone, rustling through a book angrily. "He is pitiful... I don't think he's got any good memories left."

Another strange pang of guilt made Harry's stomach feel queasy. It was he, who was responsible for Draco's memory loss. Maybe there was someone other than him that he'd fancied and had some nice moment with. He felt like he needed to prove Ron wrong or maybe to appease his own conscience.

A white queen was dragging his poor knight to haul off the chessboard. Harry was distracted all evening, losing to Ron miserably. Ginny was working on her essay at the library and Hermione went off to check on the Potions' project, so it was only boys that were sitting around the fireplace in Gryffindor common room.

Seamus had smuggled some Butterbeer and they were all a bit tipsy by the end of the evening.

"So lads," the Irish grinned, "Any luck with the fairer sex recently?"

Neville swallowed wrong and was wheezing and coughing at the question.

"Easy there, mate!" Dean flicked his wand freeing his airway.