Sitting in the Tree

"How much longer?! I am really craving some greasy muggle delivery," Ron groaned, leafing through the stash of take-out menus that had accumulated over the summer of renovations.

"I can't vanish this garland, Ronald!" Hermione complained, casting about a dozen of spells at the withering string of fur tree branches and holly over the mantelpiece to no avail. "It looks like quite complicated spellwork, so you're going have to wait a bit!"

With all this havoc at Christmas they had completely missed the boxing day, so Harry and his friends had spent almost all afternoon hoovering the pine needles off the Persian carpet and wrapping up the baubles to store for the next year. Tomorrow was New Year's Eve and despite all the thinking and planning and scheming they were still at the crossroads about what to do with Narcissa's kidnapping and Yaxley's being at large and out for blood.

"Draco made it," Harry commented, twirling the ornate glass turtle doves he had received from Bill and Fleur as a gift in his hands. They had probably hoped that those would represent Ginny and him.

"I saw you talk this morning... do you think he's going to be alright?" Hermione asked carefully.

The Gryffindor shrugged, he couldn't vouch for a wild card that was Draco Malfoy, as much as he wanted to fool himself into thinking that the worst had passed. He knew from his own experience that addiction was not a thing to treat lightly. Harry had heard from his uncle and aunt about muggles that would destroy their lives completely just to get the next fix and he was wondering how far gone was the Slytherin.

"He had better apologize to you, Mione!" Ron added, "I don't know how could you leave my sister for this... this disaster, Harry?"

He exhaled warily, so it was the time for that conversation. He had been putting it off after that messy breakup with Ginny.

"Ron... I've left her not because of Draco," Harry replied, "I was confused... about a lot of things and me and Ginny... I thought it would keep me away from those unclear feelings, but the more I tried being with her... the more it was all going to shit."

"So what are you a... are you gay now?" the ginger asked carefully.

"I dunno... I like guys... not just Malfoy... but him too, I guess," he was probably as red as a beet by then, but he was grateful that his best mate was willing to listen. "I reckon, I still might like girls too, but... it doesn't mean that it's going to work out with Gin!"

"Merlin's bollocks!" Ron exclaimed "That was not what I had in mind when I told you to talk about your feelings and stuff with the ferret at the beginning of the year... "

"Are you okay... with all that?" Harry looked at his best friend.

"Mate, I think we have been through weirder shit than you fancying Malfoy," the ginger guffawed and gave him a friendly shove.

Hermione came up to give him a tight hug and whispered with a crafty grin, "I noticed stuff a long time ago."

He was not even shocked to hear that. The girl was probably using some sort of reverse psychology on him to make him resolve his sexuality crisis when she constantly talked about sorting things out with Ginny. Harry thanked Merlin and whatever gods existed out there that his friends were supportive even in this ridiculous situation with Malfoy.

* * *

Draco was surrounded by blue instead of burgundy, but he didn't really mind. That evening the other boy sneaked into his bed and the blonde tried to sleep, wrapped around this strange all-forgiving beautiful idiot that was Harry Potter. He almost made it through the night until another owl rapped on the glass and unlike the previous ones it was carrying something.