Chapter 26

Nathaniel Marcellino:

There weren't many things that could make him feel anxious. Yet when he walked back inside and didn't see his wife among the crowd or even sitting with his family, a sinking feeling immediately settled in his gut.

When he remembered how quick she had left the country after Vivian's visit his throat suddenly went dry. What would happen after this visit? He didn't know.

Nathaniel weaved in and out of the crowd trying to swallow his unease as he searched for her but it only grew with every second that passed and there was still no sign of her.

After meeting Carlos he had already made up his mind that he was done for the night and had come back in solely to get Kitty and leave. He tried to convince himself that she wouldn't leave so soon but he couldn't shake the unsettling feeling pooling in the pit of his stomach.

He silently cursed himself, regretting that he had sent her in on her own naively believing that she would listen when he told her to wait for him. He had no one to blame but himself for being so careless.

"What is it?" Isaac asked over the pulsing music as he made his way back to their section, "What happened?"

His eyes landed on his jacket that he had given Kitty earlier, lying on the leather chairs. He was so tense, he could feel his palms start to sweat before he rigidly shoved his hands into the pockets of his pants. "Where did my wife go?"

They all glanced around at each other, trying to remember if they saw her and after a moment of quiet contemplation, he was suddenly annoyed about how useless they were.

Just when he thought he wasted his breath, Dino moved the curly hair out of his eyes, blowing out a puff of smoke, "She went downstairs with Sam again."

Nathaniel released a rough breath as relief washed over him. It wasn't until his fists that he had unknowingly clenched finally relaxed that he realized how on edge he'd been.

Kitty's ability to affect his moods was on another level. It was out of character for him to behave this way but it couldn't be helped.

At first, he had been oddly charmed by her nonchalance to his proposal but the more he spent time with her, the more he wanted to keep seeing her.

"I thought you said Kitty was with Sam?" Elias nodded towards the right side of the club where Sam had come up the side stairs, holding a random girl in one arm and drinks in the other.

Isaac whistled lowly, clucking his tongue and watching as they made their way over.

Sam was too busy whispering in the girl's ear to notice the hellish stare Nathaniel was sending him. "Where's my wife?"

The girl hanging onto Sam's arm stiffened at the sound of his voice and cowered into his embrace while Sam stared at him with furrowed brows.

Before he could answer the question, Isaac let out a loud sigh next to him, "You're a good man, Sam."

"A great man." Roman corrected sadly.

Eli held his glass up in the air, "And you will be missed!"

At the sound of their laughter, the last thread of Nathaniel's patience had snapped in an instant.

"Shut the fuck up." He clipped out harshly, his jaw hardening as he pinned his stare on them.

The silence that ensued from them afterward was a clear indication that they knew he wasn't in the mood for their shit. Sam flipped them off and let go of the girl on his arm, telling her to take a seat.

He blamed Sam partly for what happened to her tonight. When he let his wife go with him, he had trusted that he would make sure she was safe, especially while she was drinking. It was already a miracle he hadn't punched the man in the gut.