Chapter 6

Kitty Elvira:

I wish I could say that I was surprised but honestly I wasn't. This seemed like something that he would do.

I threw the photos of me and Chase back onto his desk and sighed. "You seriously have zero boundaries."

"I don't care who he is." Nathaniel's voice dropped and a sliver of fear swirled in my stomach. "Get rid of him or I will."

"Ugh, don't." I muttered, feigning nonchalance as I rolled my eyes at him. "If I'm going to be your wife then you should trust me. . . or at least act like you do."

He slammed his hand onto his desk and it took everything in me not to flinch as his steel eyes narrowed. "I'm doing this for you so they don't drag your name through the mud. A scandal won't look good on our marriage or my company. Whatever is going on between the two of you. . . Call it off. Right now."

Once again, he'd managed to shock me. 39 more words.

I didn't know why I was still counting. Maybe it was because he usually spoke about 5 words to me daily. Or maybe it was because I was trying to focus on something other than his anger so that I didn't feel queasy.

"Whatever you say, captain." I drawled out, inspecting my fingernails.

His fist clenched, scrunching up the paper he was holding in his hand. "I told you not to call me that."

"Sorry." I murmured, giving him a mock salute. "Captain."

"Kitty." He grit through clenched teeth, a muscle in his jaw ticking.

I bit back my laugh at how easy it was to get him worked up. I shot him an annoying smile, staring up at him innocently, "Yes, captain?"

He closed his eyes for a brief second looking like he was about to explode.

Despite everything, I couldn't help but laugh as I leaned back into my chair. "I'm joking. God, you need to lighten up. . . Besides Chase and I aren't even friends."

He eyed me for a moment and something about being under his scrutiny made me want to crawl into a hole.

After what felt like the longest minute of my life, he finally nodded curtly and glanced down at the papers on his desk.

It felt like a weight had been taken off my shoulders when he looked away and I sucked in a silent, shaky breath.

God, this was actually torture.

I swallowed hard, pushing down my unease and everything else until I was the perfect picture of relaxed.

"Aren't we supposed to be in an interview right now?" I asked glancing around his empty office.

There should have been people already here setting things up for the cameras, the microphones, the lighting and even the hair and makeup teams. It should be busy in here but there was no one but us.

Nathaniel went back to shuffling through the papers on his desk, not bothering to look at me—which I was actually grateful for. "It starts at 2."

My brows furrowed and I folded my arms across my chest. "Why did you tell me 1?"

"Because I knew you would be late." He said simply, finally glancing up from the papers in his hand. "And you were."

A knock on his office door promptly ended our conversation. "Come in."

His assistant opened the door slightly. "Sir, the camera crew is here to set up."

He gestured to bring them in and she nodded, opening the door wider to let them all through. "Go right inside."