Chapter 5

Kitty Elvira:

The rest of the drive, I sat there unsure what to do with myself so I stayed silent, pretending that everything outside my window was extremely fascinating.

After pulling up to my apartment in complete silence, I cleared my throat, awkwardly taking off my seat belt. "Well um. . . Thanks."

His chin jerked out in a stiff nod but his eyes didn't move from the road. I breathed a small sigh, opening the car door. "I might come to your office before the interview if my meeting finishes early. . . so you can tell me our backstory then."

Nathaniel finally turned to face me, feeling the full weight of those icy grey eyes staring right at me. "Okay."

I hopped out of the car, finally feeling like I could breathe properly before glancing at him one last time and walking inside.

That dinner had been. . . interesting.

It was without a doubt the shortest and most awkward one I had ever attended but it was still interesting nonetheless.

I pressed the button for the elevator just as my phone started ringing. I glanced down at it and sighed before deciding to ignore it. Honestly, I wasn't in the mood but even when the elevator doors opened, my phone still hadn't stopped ringing.

I bit back a groan, not bothering to look at my phone as I tapped the screen absentmindedly and lifted the phone to my ear. "Hello?"

"Kitty—" Chase's voice rang through my phone's speaker, "Have you thought about your answer?"

I closed my eyes with a tired sigh, pressing my fingers to my temple.

"Look Chase," I started sympathetically, unsure of how I was going to approach the situation. "You seem like a nice guy and all but I already have a boyfriend."

The line went quiet and for a minute I thought he had hung up until his voice came through the phone again.

"Do you?" He asked, not believing a word I said. "Really? What's his name?"

My eyebrows furrowed. "Why?"

"Because I know you're lying."

Ugh. Little did he know that he was right. I didn't have a boyfriend. Technically Nathaniel was my fiancé—a fake one but still a fiancé nonetheless.

"But I'm not," I answered on a sigh, running my fingers through my ponytail. "I really do have a boyfriend."

"Yes, you are. . ." He bit out stubbornly. "I'm coming to pick you up."

The elevator stopped on the ninth floor and I glanced down at my watch, feeling slightly irritated. God, I just wanted to change out of my clothes and lay around my apartment like a sloth for the rest of my night.

"Yeah . . . I'm actually not feeling well." I lied, throwing in a fake cough. "I can't leave my apartment."

I walked down the hallways, rummaging through my purse to grab the apartment key I had stuffed inside.

I kept coughing on the line just to make my story seem more solid. However all my acting was for nothing because once I turned the corner, Chase was standing in front of my door, watching me amusedly. "Yup, that cough sounds bad."

I hung up the phone as irritation shot through me and walked towards him with a small frown. I glanced around the hallway, "Chase, what are you doing here?"

"I came to take you to dinner." He glanced down at my outfit, "Where did you just come from?"

"Dinner. . ." I trailed off, trying to rack my brain for excuses to get out of this. "—With my boyfriend."