Chapter fourteen

"You've all received the official statement of what occurred at Stark industries last night. There have been unconfirmed reports that a robotic prototype malfunctioned and caused damage to the arc reactor. Fortunately..." Stephanie was laying on her stomach with her head resting in one of her palms and a TV remote in the other. Tony had another conference and him, Pepper, and Stephanie were all waiting in the back room. Pepper for some reason was doing touch ups on Tony's face while he read a newspaper. 

"'Iron Man' That's kind of catchy. It's go a nice ring to it. Although it's not technically correct. And why's that Stephanie?" Tony tiled the newspaper he was reading and put a hand to his ear as he waiting for her answer.

"Because the suit is made of gold-titanium alloy. Not iron." Her tone was bored as she stared up at the TV.

"Correct! A+ kid." Tony looked at Pepper. "She's right. It's not iron, but it's kind of evocative, the imagery, anyway."

"Here's your alibi." The group of three looked up to see, once again, Agent Phil Coulson. Stephanie smiled at the sight of him and turned her full attention to the up and coming conversation. He was holding out a stack of flash cards.

"Okay?" Tony grabbed the stack and set his newspaper to the side.

"You were on your yacht."

"Yeah."

"We have port papers to put you in Avalon all night, and sworn statements from 50 of your guests."

"See, I was thinking maybe we could say it was just the two girls and me, alone on the island" Tony motioned to Pepper and Stephanie. Pepper smiled at her boss, and Stephanie bashfully put her head down, trying to hide her smile

"That's what happened."

"Alright"

"Just read it, word for word." Tony looked through the flash cards.

"There's nothing about Stane here." Tony looked at the agent.

"That's being handled. He's on vacation. Small aircraft have such a poor safety record."

"But what about the whole cover story that it's a bodyguard?" Tony's eyebrows furrowed. "He's my... I mean, is that... That's kind of flimsy, don't you think?"

"This isn't my first rodeo, Mr. Stark." Stephanie silently scoffed at that. "Just stick to the official statement and soon, this will all be behind you." Phil turned to Pepper, as Tony went back to reading the flash cards. "You have 90 seconds."

As Phil went to leave the room, Pepper went over to thank him. Stephanie silently got up and followed. 

"Agent Coulson?" Phil turned to Pepper. "I just wanted to thank you for all your help."

"Oh, please. It's what we do."

"At the Strategic, Home-"

"Just call us S.H.I.E.L.D." Pepper smiled at him and chuckled. Phil then turned Stephanie who was hiding behind Pepper. He kneeled down to her and held out his hand, to which she took. "It was a pleasure seeing you again, Stephanie." They firmly shook hands before he got up and left. Pepper smiled before turning to the 8 year old. 

"How do you know him?" Stephanie's eyes widened. She blew a breath and walked away to grab some of the stuff she brought with her. Pepper shook it off and walked over to her own chair and grabbed Tony's coat off it. "Alright. Let's get this show on the road."

"You know it's not that bad." Tony said. "Even I don't think I'm Iron Man." Pepper laughed and helped him into his coat.

"Your not."