Woolgathering

Woolgathering

(n.) Indulgence is aimless thought or dreamy

I couldn't sleep that night.

Who would?

I mean, some of the boys did, but I can't blame them, they just wanted to escape into sleep, be rid of the hell of a reality that is the Glade at the moment. The smell of smoke filled the Glade, you could almost choke on it; some of the boys were, mostly the ones that were stuck in the fields that were set on fire. But they were fine now. We think.

I laid in my own hammock, it was too hot and sticky to be lying with Newt, but he was still beside me, like an always was. Most of the fire was put out now, we had helped with the water just after Gally threw Thomas and Teresa into the Slammer after Thomas had stung himself. I kept rolling around in the hammock, adjusting myself to try get more comfortable, but I just couldn't. I had too much on my mind; What is going to happen now? Are the grievers coming tomorrow? When am I going to tell Newt about my back? Is Thomas, okay?

My thoughts were cut off by Newt, "Avery." He said in a normal voice, "Sleep, you need it."

"So do you." I breathe back to him, I continue to roll around until finally I give up and lay flat on my back, "Who are we kidding, Newt? Neither of us are sleeping anytime soon."

"Then just stop moving," I could hear the smile in his voice, "You'll wake up the boys that were lucky enough to fall asleep."

"What else am I going to do?" I say while looking up at the roof, it was dark, early morning I'm guessing.

"Think of happy things." He said after a while of thinking, "Remember all of the things that happened when things were simple."

"Simple?" I question, "When have things ever been simple."

"Simpler." Newt finished with a sad chuckle as I begun to rack my brain of all my memories that I have from the past three years, surprisingly there were a lot.

Memories

1.

It was a warm day in the Glade, it was the time of year when all the flowers begun to grow; scattered throughout the green grass were spots of colours. Flowers. It was my favourite time.

I laid on the grass in the middle of the Glade; Alby had given the boys and I, the day off, he said, "You guys need it, besides we have nothing else to do today." I was so thankful that he had given it to us, and I mostly spent the day just sitting in the grass, playing with the flowers.

About a few hours into me just lounging around in the Glade I decided that I would try and make something out of the flowers. I stood up and began walking around, my gaze stuck of the grass, looking for the 'perfect flowers'. Once I found them, I sat back down and began to weave the flowers together and into a crown.

Once I finished, I placed the crown of purple, pink, yellow and small white flowers on my head, a small laugh escaped my lips as I began to weave another one, "What are you doing...." A voice said from above me, I looked up and saw Newt, I hadn't even noticed he was here.

"Sit." I say gently while tapping the space in front of me, "I'm making crowns..." I smile, while pointing to my head.

Newt nodded gently as he sat down, he watched me as I weaved the crown I currently had in my hands. "Will- Will you make me one?" He asked, his funny accent floated in the air.

I looked up and my eyes widened slightly, a smile grew on my face, "Of course!" I said excitedly as a smile grew on the older boy's face, "I'll go get the flowers..." I say while placing the crown down and standing up, looking for the perfect flowers.

Finally, I came back to Newt with a hand full of small white flowers and pale pink and yellow ones. I sat down and as I did, a ton of pollen flew up into the air, causing me to sneeze, dropping the flowers in the process. I heard the boy begin to chuckle as he leant forward and began to help pick up the flowers.

"Sorry." I laugh, "Okay," I began to weave the flowers together along with long pieces of grass. The crown was very pretty, I'm not going to lie. Once I was finished, I looked up to see that his gaze was fixated on me. Soft smiled graced both of our faces, as I leant forward so I was leaning on my knees. I gently placed the flower crown on his head, "Perfect... You look so pretty." I laugh while fixing his hair, so the crown stayed securely on his head.

I look down at him and see him eyes on mine, then both of our eyes drifted over each other's faces. "Are you going to finish the one you were making before?" He asks, causing me to come back to normal.

"Yeah." I say while returned back to my cross-legged position, "Do you want me to teach you?"

"Yeah."

We spent the next two hours, making flower crowns, enough for the twenty boys that were in the Glade besides from us two.

2.

It was a few days after I arrived in the Glade, I wasn't speaking, I couldn't. I well I spoke to one person, and that was Newt, he was the only one I trusted. Everyone else was just... scary, in a way.

I sat by myself at the tables outside of the homestead. A boy had made us breakfast, I forgot his name. I was about to eat my bowl of sludge when I was interrupted by two boys sitting down. "Avery." I heard Newt's voice say causing me to look up, "Here is someone I want you to meet." He gestured to the boy beside him, which caused my gaze to drift to him.

"Minho." The boy introduced himself; I recognised him; it was the boy I had apologised to for pushing past him on my great escape a few days ago.

"Avery." I say quietly, "I've spoken to you before."

"You have." He says while looking at Newt and then back to me, "You apologised for a few minutes to me for pushing me." He let out a small chuckle as he finished.

I gave him a small smile as I began to eat my breakfast with the two boys.

3.

It was the first day of spring in the Glade, though it didn't change much. Only the flowers began to pop up around the glade and best of all, butterflies began to appear. It was a few months and a few greenies after I had arrived, I was finally talking again.

I sat in the gardens alone when I heard someone walk over to me, I looked up and saw Gally. "Oh, hi, Gally." I say softly while jumping off the flower bed and walking over to him.

"Hi." He said as he began to look over the plants.

I suddenly grabbed his arm and pulled him closer to me and down to my height. I pointed into the plants, "Look it's a bug." I say quietly, and soon Gally let out a soft chuckle.

"Butterflies aren't bugs." He said, "They're insects." He tries to correct me as I reach forward; surprisingly the butterfly landed on my hand.

"Anything can be a bug." I say as I bring the butterfly towards me and turn to Gally.

"Fine," he smiles as he flicks my hand causing the butterfly to fly away, my mouth fell ajar as I lost my newfound friend, "Then you're a bug."

"Fine." I say while turning away and running after the butterfly.

1333 Words.

A/N: Hiya, okay this update is technically just a filler and I know that you guys are probably wanting to know what happened in the three years that Avery was in the Glade, so here you go, there's three things that happened. :))