Discombobulated

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.

Discombobulated
(adj.) emotionally confused or uncertain

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.

Running. Heavy breathing. Pain throbbing throughout my legs.  Sweat dripped from every part of my body. I grit my teeth as I run throughout the confined, claustrophobic maze. It was dark, and the stars lit my way through the corridors. The dark green vines covered the concrete walls, layer after layer.

My breathing was ragged as I looked up to the sky, not one cloud. Suddenly, a single raindrop fell from the sky, then another, then another until finally it began pouring. Though, I pushed through it, I had to get away, I kept looking behind me; checking if I was still being followed.

For the moment. No.

I turned back and was greeted by the unholy sight of a griever. I let out a gasp as I began to stumble back, falling onto the floor. Its metal exterior gleamed in the night. The smell of burning oil and a disgusting mucus filled the air around me. The metal clicking sound began to get louder as it got closer and closer to me, finally causing me to give and turn facing the ground. I felt the stinger enter my back as I woke up.

I took a deep gasp as I woke up, water fell from my mouth causing me to choke. I coughed as I realised where I was, the grated metal box, was moving rapidly upwards. I was in The Box. The box shook as I began to stand up, there was nothing in here, just me. I looked up as the box began to get faster and faster. I realised it wasn't stopping and it was going to burst through the top. I fall back to my knees as the top of the box begins to open.

I let out a scream as I cover my eyes, preparing for what was about to happen, however just as I burst through the top, my eyes opened.

I was in the Glade.

I looked around, no one was here. Just me.

I was alone.

I begin to walk forward but as I do, I get pushed to the ground. I flip over onto my back and realise what, well who it was.

"B-Ben..." I breathe as I try and get away, however he stops me by jumping onto my stomach. Straddling me. Keeping me still.

"I'm going to kill you... and your stupid brother..." he breathed out of anger as his hand made their way around my neck.

Ben was a glowing white, with purple and black bruises covering him, his veins were black, along with his eyes.

My hands make their way to his, trying to pry them away from around my neck but it was no use. No one was coming to save me. I was going to die.

I woke up with a long gasp for air, I sat up in my hammock. I was back in the homestead. It was dark but I was back. "Hey..." I heard a familiar voice but now it was groggy from sleep, "Are you alright?"  I didn't reply, I couldn't, I was still trying to get my breath back. "Hey..." I heard him get more concerned and get out of his hammock. I feel his presence beside me, but I look forward, so that caused his hand to cup my face and turn my head towards him.

My eyes were filled with tears as I made eye contact with him, soon I break down and quickly lean in and hug him. My arms wrap around his neck and his arms hug me tightly around my waist. I cried into his neck, "It was just a nightmare...." he assured me, "Whatever happened, it's not real...."

"E-Every time I close my eyes..." I sob, "I see Bens face and him, above me. Choking me. Kill- Killing me..." I sniffle and continue to hug him tightly. Newts hugs always made me feel safer; something about his arms around me gave me a sense of peace.