Stay by my Side - Chapter Fourteen

Chat Noir jumped onto Marinette's balcony, the wind rushing past his ears and ruffling his hair. He... wasn't sure what he wanted in this interaction. Did he want his dream that he had to become a reality? But... how could he feel that way, when his heart had warmed with Ladybug only moments before?

"Kitty..." Marinette called to him, as she leant against the balcony. "It's nice to see you."

"Same to you, my Princess." He replied, bowing low.

Marinette giggled, but then tried to stifle it. "Chat, I need to talk with you."

Chat Noir raised an eyebrow, his cheeks faintly flushing. "You... need to talk to me? About what, Princess?"

Marinette awkwardly shuffled her feet. "I... need to tell you something?"

"Really?" Chat Noir felt a happy feeling rise in his chest, floating-

"About Lila."

-and came crashing down.

"L... Lila? What do you mean? She's a girl in your class, right?"

"Yeah..." Marinette turned her back on Chat Noir, and glanced upwards to the stars, in order to give herself courage. "You asked me a while ago to be honest with you, but... I haven't been. I was too afraid. But then... when you rescued me from my akumatised father... when you tried so hard to rescue me... I... I realised that I trust you, Chat."

It wasn't the confession he was hoping for, but it was one he was happy to receive, nonetheless. Pushing his emotions aside to focus entirely on her, he sat down near the balcony, recognising that they were probably going to be there for a while.

And slowly, delicately, carefully, Marinette explained what had been going on for the last month and a half. Lila's cruel treatment of her, the traumatising trips to the bathroom Lila forced her to participate in, the isolation from people she used to consider her friends.

"I - I thought you had friends. Like that blonde haired guy!"

"Oh, you mean Adrien?" Marinette sighed wishfully. "I don't think so - not anymore."

"W - What do you mean?" Chat Noir asked, afraid to know the answer.

"Adrien... doesn't spend time with me anymore. He ignores me. He only occasionally waves at me. Lila must've gotten to him somehow. I really thought he'd have been different too..." Marinette brought her hands up to her face and began to cry into them. "But he's not! He got fooled by her and her lies and tricks and schemes! I thought if I could trust anyone... I could trust him..."

Chat Noir pulled her into a close embrace, and she began to cry onto his shoulder. How...? How could he have done this to her? Everyone... everyone told him that he shouldn't bother her, that she was busy... did they lie to him? Did they all lie to him? Why would they... hate Marinette so much?

How did he not notice her suffering?

... Well no more.

As he hugged Marinette close, as she poured an ocean onto his shoulder, he stared up at the sky, determination in his eyes.

He wasn't going to brush her feelings off any longer.

---TimeSkip---

Chat Noir carefully landed on the windowsill of her window. Creeping, as to not wake up anyone else living in her home, he knocked on her window. He felt exhaustion creeping up his back, he really wished he could fall asleep...

No! He had to do this! For Marine-

"Chat Noir?" Lila said, opening her window and stepping aside to allow Chat Noir to enter. "What's the matter?"

"Lila, I need to talk to you."

"Is this about me not liking Ladybug? Well I'm sorry, but she's clearly a-"

"I don't want to hear it." Chat Noir coldly replied. "No, this is about Marinette."

"M - Marinette?" Lila laughed awkwardly. "W... What do you mean?"

Chat Noir's gaze turned cold, deciding to cut straight to the chase. "You've been bullying her, haven't you?"

Lila flinched. "N - no, of course not! We're best friends! BFFs!"

"That's enough Lila!" Chat Noir shouted, deciding not to care about waking up any of her family members. "I'm sick of your lying! I saw Marinette - you have no idea how much you've broken her, you sick being. Do you have no shame in tormenting others? Remember, if Marinette becomes akumatised, you'll be the first person she comes after."

"Well then you and Ladybug better get training so you can protect me easier." She replied coldly, leaning closer to him, hands on her hips.

"Yeah, well... who knows? Maybe I'll stop by a shop to buy a snack... pay with coins... ask for a bag... enjoy my meal... and then show up just too late. Who knows?" Chat Noir knew he was being cruel, but at this point... he didn't care. Lila insulted Ladybug and is traumatising Marinette. He would do anything to keep the people he loves safe and happy.

Lila flinched. "Y - You wouldn't!"

Chat Noir jumped onto the windowsill once again. "Try me." He answered, before jumping out of the window to head home, leaving Lila alone in the silence.

Yay, new chapter! This is mostly MariChat, but next chapter (if it's not the next one then the one after that) should have some Adrienette in it, so I hope you're looking forward to it!

So Lila's been scolded - I wonder how she'll react to it? I guess we'll find out next chapter!

I hope you enjoyed reading! We're almost at 500 views, which is amazing!! Thank you all for your incredible support!! I'll see you guys again soon!

But for now...

Peachy out! 😊