II

Three people in the town are dead and your brother has started to bring his frustration with work home with him.

"And Sheriff Stilinski is hiding something from the rest of the department, which I normally wouldn't really care about except for the part where we have a serial killer on our hands and the FBI is in town?" Jordan complains as he buttons up his uniform. 

You're casually reading Frankenstein on the couch, lounging as he gets ready for the night shift. 

"Also, (y/n), what the hell did you line the apartment with? I touched some earlier and it burned."

"It's a mountain ash substitute. You know the building's on top of a ley line, right? We could not be in a more vulnerable place magic-wise."

Jordan sighs. "I forgot we're still holding onto this whole supernatural thing. I'll be home late; don't wait up."

"Wasn't planning on it. You gonna be able to give me a ride to school tomorrow?"

"Yeah. See you in the morning, don't do anything stupid."

"I'm never the one that does. Be safe," you tack on as Jordan leaves.

You dog-ear the page (it's a school book; you really couldn't care less about using a bookmark for it) and get up to lock the door behind him. Beacon Hills isn't a bad area by any means, but the extra locks on the door make both you and your brother feel better. Your vision fuzzes out for a moment; it's been happening more often and for longer amounts of time than ever. It worries you, but you know exactly why it's happening.

You just don't want to come to terms with it yet.

---

The deadpool stares up at them. The key, ALLISON, mocks them in big letters at the bottom of the page, but that's not what holds their attention. It's the familiarity of the names on the list that are more concerning than anything else.

"Why is (y/n) on this list? She doesn't smell like anything, right Scott?"

Scott scrambles for a moment. "She doesn't smell like a wolf? That doesn't mean that she's not something else."

"We have to warn her." Lydia says, but her eyes are unfocused.

Stiles crouches down to look her in the eyes. "Lydia, what is it? What's wrong?"

"We have to go."

"Is she going to die?" Scott asks.

Lydia looks up, eyes still slightly unfocused. "I don't know. I can't tell."

---

You're checking the protective charms on the windows when you feel it. There's another presence in the apartment. With a fingernail, you nick your palm, spreading the blood into the shape of a pentagram.

"Two million for this little thing? How dangerous could she be?" A male voice says from behind you, and you make for the door.

You can't wreck Jordan's apartment with the damage that's about to occur, but you can't let anyone see you either. There's a girl standing outside of your apartment, and you pull enough power from the charm in your back pocket to ram her into the wall before you run outside into the alley.

They follow, but you keep running until you reach the grassy patch of the 'backyard' of your apartment complex. Instantly, you feel power surge through your body. The pentagram on your palm glows softly, and you smirk a bit to yourself.

The two intruders look a bit surprised that you've decided to turn and fight instead of continuing to flee, but they adapt quickly. One has a spear, the other a garrote. The shield spell is almost second nature to you, and the little patch of grass ripples with energy as you cast it.