XI

When you get to the hospital, You immediately sense out where Stiles is. Without a word, you make for the roof. You can feel Theo following you, but you ignore him.

On the roof, a Chimera is attacking Stiles. Theo wolfs out immediately and starts sprinting at it. You slice your palm open and hope that nothing up here is particularly flammable.

Stiles keeps down, avoiding the sparks flying through the air. Shield spell cast, you make your way over to him.

"Are you hurt?" you ask, keeping eyes on the battling boys.

"Just a scratch," Stiles whispers.

You chance a look at him. He's holding his chest, but the adrenaline hasn't let the pain sink in yet. You let your eyes flash pink, tapping into the bond to heal it.

Stiles glances down at his chest, then looks up at you in wonder. "You can do that?"

"There's a lot I can do that you don't know about." You turn your focus back to Theo and the Chimera just in time to watch Theo rip out its throat.

"Oh, I'm gonna need so much therapy," you breathe.

The three of you stand around the body. You avoid looking directly at it; the amount of blood on the roof is honestly making you nauseous.

"You can't tell Scott," Theo says, and Stiles slams him up against the transformer.

"Why the hell not?"

"Because I didn't tell him about Donovan."

Stiles turns to look at you, and the fear is palpable in his eyes. "How do you know about Donovan?"

"I was there. I only saw what you saw, and I didn't say anything because you didn't."

"But you didn't feel the need to help?" you question, crossing your arms.

Before Theo can answer, the sound of sirens draws your attention.

"That's not an ambulance, is it?" Theo asks, and Stiles releases him, attention turning back to the body. "We should go," Theo continues.

"Shut up," you growl. "Stiles?"

"I'm thinking. Let me think."

"We can't be here when they find the body," Theo says. "We have to go. I'm not going to ask you to lie to your dad."

It's a low blow, and you're about to tear Theo a new one when Stiles says, "Don't worry. I've had plenty of practice."

They decide to tell Scott that one of the Dread Doctors killed the Chimera, and take it back to the clinic. They haul the body away, and you use the pentagram on your hand to clean the blood off the roof.

You then sit down against the transformer, wiping the blood off your palm onto your jeans. You just need a moment to process everything that's just happened. Somehow, Theo has found a way to be someone that Stiles is forced to trust.

You pull out your phone. You have four missed calls from Liam, and that's concerning. Liam never calls you, Mason does.

Your phone lights up with another call from Liam, and you answer.

"Liam? What's wrong?"

"Hayden's a Chimera. What do I do?"

"Where are you?"

"I don't know. We just started running. I don't know."

"What are you near?"

"It's the middle of the woods, I don't know."

"Are you near the road?"

"Yeah. Yeah, I think so."

You sigh, shaky. "I'm on my way. Don't do anything stupid."

Liam hangs up, and you sigh, getting to your feet. You glance over the side of the roof, judging the distance. You've got enough power in you to survive the jump, and it'll save you time. You take a running start off the building and leap.

You land in the parking lot with a thump, but you're uninjured. The run to your car is short, and Stacy starts up on the first try.

---

The drive to Scott's is done in silence. Finding Liam and Hayden was easy, convincing Hayden to get in the car was not. It's fair; she barely knows you. You wouldn't get in the car with a stranger either.

"Did you call Scott?" you ask Liam, glancing into the rearview mirror to look at both of them.

"My phone died after I called you," Liam admits sheepishly.

You lean over to fumble for your bag which is in the passenger seat.

"Call him on mine," you pass it back. "You know where they keep the spare key, right?"

"Yeah."

"You okay back there Hayden?"

"Not really," she replies, and the silence in the car becomes stifling.

"Cool," you mutter. You don't know when you became pack mom, but you really wish someone would relieve you of that role. You're too both too young and too old for all the shit they get themselves into.