XIII

When Scott arrives, the relief in the room is almost palpable. That changes the second he sinks his claws into the back of Corey's neck.

"What the hell?" you yell, finally done with Scott's shit. "He's a kid."

"He can't hear you," Stiles says.

"Then someone remind me to tear him a new one later."

"His beta is missing," Lydia says.

"Because of his shitty plan. I'm getting really tired of there being strict rules to being Scott's friend until he needs to break them."

"No one made you join our pack."

"I'm not part of the pack, Malia. I never have been. But I still clean up all of your shit because someone has to. You think all the blood you spill just disappears? I've spent more blood cleaning up your messes than anything else."

"No one asked you to do that," Stiles says.

"You're right. I'm sorry that I gave enough of a shit to erase all of your DNA from every single place you've ever fought anyone. I'm sorry that I'm actively trying to keep the kids safe. I'm sorry that I seem to be the only one of you that thinks about anything other than each other. There's a whole world out there that you're affecting and you seem to forget that."

"(Y/n)," Mason starts, but Scott disconnects from Corey.

"I know where they are," he says, and you move to stand in front of Corey while they discuss their attack.

"Hey," you murmur. "I'm really sorry about that. There's no excuse. Here," you pull a protective charm out of your bag. "This will help protect you, if you let it."

"(Y/n), you coming?" Scott asks.

"He's a kid," you say instead.

"So is Liam."

"Someone has to stay with Corey," you gesture.

"I will," Theo volunteers.

"I'll stay too," Lydia says, and that makes you feel a little better. She looks just as shocked by Scott's behavior as you are.

"Okay," you say, and follow them out.

"Scott, slow down and think. Mason shouldn't be going," Stiles says.

"Liam's my best friend; I'm going."

"Oh," Stiles stops. "Did you suddenly get super wolf powers? I wasn't aware of that development."

"Well, if you're not going, I could use the help," Scott replies.

Apparently you've missed a fight that you really couldn't care less about.

"No, I'm coming. Just as soon as I talk to my dad. They're moving the body; he wants to make sure that this time no one steals it."

"How's he gonna do that?" Malia asks.

"I don't know." Stiles turns back to Scott. "But whoever took the last one was strong enough to flip my Jeep."

"We can bring Theo," Malia suggests.

"I'm staying here, remember?"

"Scott, Stiles is right. We need to slow down and think," Lydia cuts in.

"I am thinking. About how Liam and Hayden could already be dead."

"Liam's not," you pipe up. "Bond's intact."

"You could have hurt him, Scott," Lydia continues. "Really hurt him."

"I have to find Liam," Scott sighs.