XX

"(Y/n), don't be mad," Mason opens, and immediately your patience thins.

"What did you do?"

"(Y/n), I was right," Liam says. "Hayden's alive."

"Why am I going to be mad?"

"We're at the station? We need someone to come get us," Mason says, and you sigh.

"Why me?"

"We only got one phone call," Liam says.

"And which of our parents was going to be able to explain this?" Mason continues.

"And you're an adult, so..."

You sigh again. "I will be there in fifteen minutes. Do not say anything else to the police. What happened?"

"They found us at the Nemeton and there were bodies," Mason says.

"Then you're suspects. Don't say a word until I get there. I mean it."

You hang up, rolling your eyes. Walking back down the hall, you stop in the doorway of Sheriff Stilinski's room.

"The kids are in trouble," you say when Stiles glances up at you. "I've got to go."

"Mason and Liam? What'd they do?"

"They've gotten themselves mixed up in a crime scene. You gonna be okay here?"

"Yeah," he glances down at his father with soft eyes. "Yeah I'll be fine."

"Well, call me if anything happens. Hopefully I can get this sorted out." Mostly to yourself, you say: "Don't know when I became pack mom but I would love to turn that role over to someone else."

"You said it yourself," Stiles says.

"What?"

"You're the only one that remembers that there's a world and a future outside of Beacon Hills," Stiles stands and walks to stand in front of you. "I think they realize that, and that's why they trust you."

"Oh," you breathe.

"We needed that," Stiles says, holding eye contact. "We get so caught up in the now, we forget that if we live there's something else out there." You're just a breath away from him, and the air is charged.

"The kids are waiting at the station," you whisper. "I should go."

"Right. Right." He doesn't step back. Neither do you.

Stiles's dad clears his throat. "Did you kids forget that I'm right here?" Sheriff Stilinski says, and you and Stiles snap out of it.

"I'm... gonna go. I'm gonna go," you say, fumbling as you try to back out of the room.

You've got to get this more under control.

---

"(Y/n)!" Mason says as you enter the station, and you're relieved to see that neither of the boys are handcuffed.

"I'll handle this."

"So, you're here for them?" Deputy Clark asks.

"Yep," you say, popping the P and trying to look altogether bored.

"They were found at a crime scene? They're suspects."

"They're sixteen. And idiots, but they're not murderers."

"Hey," Liam protests.

"Shut it. I'm not happy with you but we'll deal with that later," you turn back to Clark. "Look, I think you and I can both agree that neither one of them did this."