Chapter 5

Lainey had been in her room the rest of the day after eating lunch, and now it was close to dinner time. She decided to get up and go see what Rue was making for dinner, but before reaching the stairs she glanced down the hall to see if Peyton's door was open. Sadly it wasn't so she went on downstairs and into the kitchen.

"Hey, Rue, dinner smells amazing." Lainey said walking into the kitchen.

"Thank you dear, I made my special enchiladas tonight."

"Oooo, gimmie gimmie" Lainey said taking a seat while Rue dished up her plate.

Lainey took a bite and was immediately speechless "Oh my god! I swear you make the best food in the world." Lainey exclaimed.

Chef Rue chuckled. "Thank you dear I'm glad it meets your standards."

"Has Peyton been down to eat yet?" Lainey asked between bites.

"No, I haven't seen Miss Chapman all day. Is she sick? I can make her soup if she'd rather have that."

"Oh it's fine. I don't think she's sick. We talked earlier and I guess you could say things didn't go well."

"Lainey." Chef Rue scolded. "What did you do to that poor girl? Don't make me bring out the mother side of me."

"Oh please don't. Mama Rue scares me sometimes. As for the Peyton situation, we just talked a little, and I guess that it didn't go how she wanted. I may have crossed a line or two, but so did she."

"What did I tell you everyday you came home and complained about this girl, or your parents while you were in high school?

"Don't worry about what other people want from you or do to you. Figure out what's important to you and focus on that. Then all that other noise won't seem so loud anymore."

"Exactly! Now if you start fist fighting with this girl I ain't afraid to knock you both upside the head with my spatula" the chef joked causing Lainey to laugh a bit "nah dear, I'm just kidding, it's all about how you look at it. Maybe this could turn into a good thing for you and Miss Chapman. It could give you two a chance to overcome whatever riff is between you. Now I have spoken to her parents about her, so I know what she's accomplished, and it sounds like you two could be quite the team if you learned how to work together.."

"I don't know I-"

"Just give it time dear. Would you mind taking a plate of food up for her? I really don't feel comfortable with her not eating all day."

"Yeah, sure."

Lainey took the plate upstairs but stopped before going into Peyton's room. She couldn't hear any noise coming from the room. Lainey knocked but didn't get an answer. She was tempted to turn around and not leave the food, but for some reason she decided to check the door and it was unlocked. She opened the door to find Peyton asleep with the lights on and her phone still in her hands.

Lainey didn't want to wake Peyton so she set the food on the side table next to the bed and grabbed Peyton's phone from her hands and plugged it in. She covered Peyton with a blanket, shut off the light, and closed her door once again.

An hour or so later Lainey was sitting in her room at her desk taking care of some work projects when she heard a knock at her door.

"It's open" she yelled back without turning to see who it was.

"Hey" Peyton said weakly from the door.

Lainey shut her computer and turned around as soon as she realized it was Peyton. "You're awake."

"Yeah. I just wanted to say thank you for the food. I woke up after you covered me up, but I was still tired so I went back to sleep."

"Oh, ok. Sorry I didn't mean to wake you."