Chapter 24

The next morning Lainey had to be up bright and early for a meeting at 7 in the morning. She knew that Peyton didn't go in to work till 9:00 this morning and didn't want to wake her so she decided not to message her till she was out of her meeting.

Yes, she was still bummed that the other girl didn't trust her or even give her a chance to talk before yelling at her, but that didn't mean she wasn't going to talk to the girl while she was gone. That would only serve to prove the point that Peyton couldn't trust her.

She had given up on being more than friends though. As much as she wanted to, and as much as it hurt to to admit to herself, she just couldn't be with someone who couldn't trust her, and obviously there was nothing she could do to earn Peyton's trust.

Lainey's meeting ended at 7:45 and she had 15 minutes before the next, so she decided to use this time to message Peyton seeing as the girl usually woke around 8 anyway.

Good morning, Peyton, I hope this doesn't wake you. My meetings for the day have already started and will be continuous through 7:30 this evening. If you need me urgently please contact my assistant as I have told her to let me know immediately if you need me. Otherwise I will do my best to answer you between meetings if you message me personally. Thank you and have a great day!

Lainey felt like she was sending a business email, but she didn't know how else to text the girl anymore. She felt awkward.

When Peyton read the message she wanted to cry. She could tell that Lainey felt uncomfortable messaging her, and she knew it was all her fault. She shouldn't have yelled at Lainey, and she damn sure should have never said that she didn't trust her.

Lainey had been nothing but trustworthy since they were forced into this engagement, and Peyton was just too stubborn to admit it. She was too stubborn to admit that she was wrong about Lainey for so many years. Yet, even when Peyton had been rude, Lainey still tried to be cordial.

Peyton went straight to her father's office.

"I need to go to New York."

"I'm sorry?"

"I need to go to New York."

"What? Why?"

"Lainey is there, and we got in a fight last night before she left, and I need to go fix things."

"Can't you just call her?"

"No, I really messed up and I need to do this in person."

"When is she coming back?"

"3 days"

"And you can't wait 3 days?"

"No"

"Peyton, I can't just randomly send you to New York. You have things that need done here."

"You're telling me we have NO business going on in New York right now?"

"No, sweetheart, we don't."

"But, dad! I really need to go!"

Peyton's father sighed. He hated having to tell his daughter no.

"What if I get my own flight and work from my personal computer while I'm there? Please."

"Okay, okay, you can go to New York. But you need to be back by end of the day tomorrow."

"Dad!" Peyton groaned "Please let me stay till Lainey leaves. I don't want to just go out there and then leave. I want to spend some time with her."

Her dad gave her a questioning look. "Last I knew you two couldn't stand each other."

"Yeah, well things changed okay. I think I-... No, I know that I like her, and I know that I really need to go talk to her."