LXXV

EVERYTHING I DIDN'T SAY

'The way that you held me
I wish that I'd put you first
I was wrong I admit, numb from your kiss
While you were slipping through my fingertips'

"Riko has spent his entire life aiming to be the best player on the court," Neil said, picking up from where Thalia left off not too long ago. "When he feels his superiority is threatened, he lashes out. Like Thalia said. This year and last year alone are proof of his increasing instability."

"Kevin Day was your uncle's second largest investment." Thalia said. "But Riko destroyed him over hurt pride. At the start of his sophmore year, Kevin had a seven digit net worth between his professional contract, his spot on the national team, and his endorsements. He could have earned your family fifteen, twenty million a year after graduation. Now he has to start from scratch."

"Riko killed one of my teammates in August," Neil continued, telling Ichirou how horrible his brother was. "And admitted to it in a public environment. In November he interfered with the Oakland justice system, and left a money trail from California to South Carolina to hurt another teammate. And in December he bought out a psychiatrist at Easthaven to continue that torture. Over Christmas break he gave me back my natural looks so my father's people could find and kill me, and forced Thalia to stay at Evermore."

"He laid the groundwork for the confrontation in Maryland that ended with my father's death and this entire federal investigation." Thalia said. She could feel together they were getting through to Ichirou. "Last week he reacted to your father's death by beating a teammate within an inch of his life. He didn't have any of the people he would usually hurt - Kevin, Jean, me or Neil - but he found someone all four of us had been close to in our time at Evermore. He is in our custody while he heals, but Edgar Allan University has launched a quiet investigation into the Ravens. They will find out about the abuse your uncle condones and someone will have to answer for it." 

"We're not saying your brother is unstable," Neil said, making Thalia want to laugh, but she schooled her features. "But he is not being careful. He is escalating because he feels threatened. But there are too many people watching us now. They will catch him soon enough, and I am afraid of what will fall back on you. I won't ally myself with such a risk, so I won't play for your uncle at Edgar Allan. I'm sorry." 

Ichirou was silent again. It seemed like hours before he spoke again. "Look me in the eye and listen very carefully," he said. Thalia was already looking at him like he was a timebomb going to kill her and Neil any second, so she only slightly shifted her gaze. "Where I come from, a man's word is only as good as his name, and his name is only as good as the blood he has spilled for my family. You are both untested and untrue. You are not worth the air you breathe. I would balance the red in my ledger with your deaths and consider it a fair repayment." Thalia's throat went dry and she couldn't breathe for a moment until she forced herself to again.

"However," Ichirou continued. "You are your father's children, and your father was someone to me. He is the reason I came down here and spoke to you when I could have gotten someone else to do it for me. Do you know what I will do if I think you are wasting my time? Do you know what I will do to everyone you have ever met? I will kill each person who stands by you and make each death last a lifetime."

"What can we do to convince you we're telling the truth?" Thalia asked, afraid of the answer.

"Nothing," Ichirou said. Thalia's heart beat in her ears and she didn't understand the Japanese words Ichirou said to the drivers up the front. She was going to die today, and she would never get to say goodbye to any of the Foxes. Never get to say goodbye to Kevin. Kevin, who she loved more than life itself. Kevin, who would be broken after he heard the news. Kevin, who would likely never move on.

"Perhaps your lives have price tags after all." Thalia looked up when Ichirou spoke, her head clearing and dark thoughts being replaced by disgustingly hopeful ones. "Eighty percent of your earnings for the entirety of your careers will be sufficient. I expect the same from Moreau and Day; it is only fair considering my family funded their training." Ichirou explained. Thalia felt her heart sink and then lift in realisation that she wasn't going to die. Wasn't going to drop dead on the spot. She'd get to live her life, and she and Kevin wouldn't have to be split up. "Someone will be in contact to make arrangements. If you fail to make the cut after graduation, the deal is forfeit and you will be executed. Do you understand?"

"Yes, my lord," Thalia said. "We understand. I will talk with Kevin and Jean. We will not fail you." Neil gave a short nod, obviously still coming to terms with his freedom.

"Then for now you are dismissed." Ichirous said, and Neil and Thalia climbed out of the car and as soon as the two cars drove away, the two gripped each other in a fierce hug that made every new burn and cut on Thalia's body ache, but it was worth it. They were free. She felt like she was going to cry, but as they silently walked back to Fox tower, only one thought ran through Thalia's mind; how will Kevin and Jean react?