LXXXII

END OF THE DAY

'I told her that I loved her, was not sure if she heard
The roof was pretty windy and she didn't say a word
Party dying downstairs, had nothing left to do
Just me, her, and the moon'

There had been interviews when Thalia and Neil had returned to ask about what had happened in Baltimore, and who they really were, but, of course, Thalia had missed it. So another interview was set up, now that the world knew she was still alive, and on the Tuesday before the Foxes vs Ravens rematch for the finals, Thalia and the rest of her team sat in the foyer, answering questions. Thalia answered most of them, however, there were a few for the other members of the Foxes.

"Thalia, is it true that Riko Moriyama threatened you? Is that why you transferred to Edgar Allan?" "Are you back on the Fox line for good?" "Why didn't you play against the Trojans?" "Are the rumours about Thalia and Kevin dating true?"

"Hold on, who said that last one?" Thalia said, standing to see the crowd of faces. A woman raised her hand. "Okay, well I can answer that one," she continued. "Yes, Kevin and I are dating, and if anyone has a problem with that, they can keep it to themselves because neither of us give a fuck about what you think of our relationship." As soon as Thalia sat back down, the questions started coming again.

After the interview, Wymack told the team that the championship game was going to be held at Castle Evermore. Thalia wasn't happy, but she wasn't surprised, either. The Foxhole Court wasn't big enough to fit as many people as would show up for the game, but Thalia still wasn't excited about going back there so soon after getting out, despite how she left.

Then he handed out a clipboard. There was a section behind the away team bench for friends and family that the Foxes could fill. There were eighteen seats for them all, but Andrew and Nicky passed it along without further question. Aaron wrote down one name, which Thalia assumed was Katelyn's, then passed it to Renee, who also wrote one name. Thalia didn't want to see Stephanie Walker again, though she knew it was inevitable. Allison gave it to Matt without hesitation, who added his parents and whoever his father's current mistress was. Thalia hesitated. There was only one person who'd believed in her and helped her get where she was today - one other person who wasn't part of the Foxes, of course - but she looked up at Andrew first. He seemed to understand her and only looked away, giving Thalia the answer she needed. So she wrote the name and handed it to Dan, knowing there wouldn't be anyone for Kevin or Neil to write down.

On their way out, Thalia grabbed Kevin's arm and led him to the court. She sat on the bleachers and Kevin sat next to her. They sat in silence until Thalia sighed and ran a hand through her hair, turning her head to look at Kevin.

"I'm sorry for what I said the other night at Eden's," Thalia said. Kevin turned his head and frowned down at her. "I was just frustrated that I didn't get to play, and I shouldn't have taken it out on you. I was wrong, and selfish, and only thinking about myself. I'm sorry."

"You already said you were sorry," Kevin said after a minute's silence. Thalia smiled and kissed him. He put one hand on her cheek and the other around Thalia's waist.   Things started to get heated, and Thalia's eyes fluttered closed.

"Not in my stadium! Get out!" a voice called, pulling the two apart. Thalia jumped away from Kevin and looked to where the voice came from. Coach Wymack stood at the entrance to the tunnel with his arms folded across his chest and a serious expression on his face. Thalia looked back at Kevin who was looking away sheepishly, and then back to Wymack with a big smile on her face.

"No problem coach!" Thalia yelled back. Wymack shook his head and left.

That night, Aaron and Nicky showed up unexpectedly to the night practice, and on Friday the upperclassmen joined, too.

"We don't have enough time to teach them all the right drills," Kevin said to Thalia.

"I can get Allison and Dan doing the dealer drills Riko made me do," Thalia offered and Kevin nodded, heading over to the rest of the team. He split everyone up into teams; Neil would work with Nicky Aaron and Matt, teaching them the backliner drills from his time at Evermore at Christmas, and Kevin would work with Renee and Andrew in goal. Thalia took Dan and Allison to the other end of the court and showed them the footwork, drills, and techniques that she'd picked up in her months - and earlier years - at the nest. 

"You guys are picking up on these pretty quickly," Thalia said with a proud smile on her face. On Tuesday night, they started doing scrimmages with all the new drills they'd done at night, and it seemed to have paid off, especially doing it all in separate groups. Thalia played only with her right hand, still afraid Riko would scream at her and threaten to break her left if she dared play with both.

"I need you to play with both hands," Kevin said to her on Thursday afternoon in the library. Thalia looked up from her book. "I know I've asked you to do this before, and you said yes then. So what's been stopping you now?" she sighed and bookmarked her page.

"Riko would yell at me every time I used my left," Thalia said in French so that nobody around them could understand. Kevin's face showed understanding, as if remembering it happening when they were children as well. Thalia shook her head. "I'm afraid, Kevin. I'm afraid that he'll threaten me again." she whispered this time. Kevin's face turned to stone.

"How did he threaten you, Thalia?" Kevin asked. Thalia only answered by picking up his left hand gently and tracing the white scars on the back of it. "Oh my god," he sighed in realisation. "Lia, I'm sorry. I wouldn't have asked if I had known." Thalia shushed him.

"It's okay, Kevin." Thalia said, looking into his green eyes. "It's fine. I'm fine. And I don't normally make deals, but if Andrew's taught me anything, it's that they can be effective. So I'll make you a deal," Thalia said. Kevin frowned but let her continue. "I play with both hands tomorrow, and you come with me tonight. I'm taking you somewhere as a surprise. It might be out to dinner, and it might be somewhere to leave you so that I can go back and join the Ravens, letting the Foxes lose and die of humiliation." Kevin's eyes widened and Thalia laughed. "I'm kidding, Kevin. I would never do that. The point is that it's a surprise, okay?"

"Okay. I'll do it," Kevin nodded. Thalia smiled and nodded as well.

"Well then," she said. "Let's get back to studying."