III

MONSTA

'What is it that he wants from me?
Maybe he just feels lonely
What is it that he has in mind?
Why has he come here at this time?
The monster takes me away
From my safe space into the night'

 ⥐ 

"The fuck do you want?" Thalia said, getting off the plane. She was feeling groggy from flying across the country and didn't feel like putting up with anyone's bullshit right now. She'd gotten a call from Higgins when she landed, and as soon as she picked up, Thalia cut the man off. "I just got off my flight. It's seven thirty here. So I'll repeat my question. The fuck do you want?"

"Just wanted to let you know that you have three weeks to decide what you're going to do before you go back to the judge with a three year life plan." Higgins said from the other line. Thalia could hear his two children playing around the house on the other side of the line.

"Yeah yeah, I know. Is that all?" Thalia said impatiently. Higgins hummed in response and Thalia ended the call. She made her way down the escalator and looked around. The past two weeks had been full of watching the Foxes games and finding out whatever she could about the players. There was only one she found interesting; Andrew Minyard.

Thalia had found out that Andrew, like herself, had been in foster care. He had a twin brother, Aaron, who'd grown up with their mother. Andrew eventually went back to live with his family, but that only lasted a few months before his mother died in a car accident. Thalia doubted that's what it was though. Andrew had motive - his mother had given him up and not Aaron - and enough want to do it.

Andrew had been to juvie, and gotten out just before his return to his family. After the accident, he'd lived with Aaron and his cousin, Nicholas Hemmick. He'd been recruited by the Edgar Allan Ravens, but had refused, and joined the Palmetto Foxes, brother and cousin in tow.

He'd been given court issued drugs after beating up and almost killing four men outside a bar two years ago for insulting Nicky for being gay, and the court had thought his reaction a gross overreaction. If Andrew was thought to be off his meds, he could be tested, and if the test came back negative, he'd be sent to jail.

Thalia looked around for any of the faces she'd studied hard, and eventually came to land on Andrew's. She hadn't expected to see him, but had been hoping to all the while. She made her way over to him and stood right in front of the short man. Thalia wasn't exactly tall herself, but Andrew was much shorter than her.

"Thalia," Andrew asked, but said it as more of a statement. Thalia nodded. "Baggage claim." he seemed different than Thalia had pictured him in his mind, but she didn't dwell on it. She thought more of the fact that whenever he was seen on tv, Andrew was smiling manically, likely a result of his medication. This Andrew wasn't smiling. 

Thalia knew right away something was wrong. Either he was off his drugs - perhaps to take account of Thalia with a clear mind - or this wasn't Andrew at all. Perhaps this was Aaron. But Thalia couldn't be sure.

"This is it." Thalia held up her duffel bag, and Andrew muttered something to himself as he walked off. Thalia followed, not saying anything about Andrew's comment. Once outside, Andrew stepped right into the traffic and pulled out a cigarette. Thalia was itching for one herself, but she couldn't bring any with her on the plane.

"Hey," she said. Andrew didn't turn at first. "Hey asshole." that gave Thalia the desired reaction. "Can I have one?" she gestured to the packet he was trying to stuff into his pocket again. Andrew took one out and handed it to Thalia, then lit it and walked off again.

Once they reached Andrew's car, he grumbled something about putting her things in the trunk, and Thalia did just that once the sound of the car opening rang through the covered parking lot. Then she stubbed out her cigarette under her boot heel and got in the car.

 ⥐ 

Once at the Foxhole Court, Thalia stepped out of the car and headed inside after Andrew. She looked at the big stadium in awe, though she didn't say anything. He didn't tell Thalia the code, but she watched his fingers tap away at the numbers. She remembered those, storing them in her mind for use another day.

Andrew walked into the locker room, looking as bored as he always seemed to. Thalia followed him, going to look at the photos on the wall when he told her to stay there and walked off. 

Many were newspaper clippings or professionally taken photos of the team, though there were a few that were clearly taken by the team and put up for sentimental purposes. Thalia didn't see the point in things like that, but looking at these people she could see how happy they were.

"Thalia? it's good to see you again." a voice came from Thalia's back. She turned around, startled by the intruder. "Sorry, did I scare you?" Wymack asked, sounding genuinely worried. Thalia didn't reply, just schooling her features and waiting for the man to speak again. She hoped he didn't notice the fact that she was slowly edging back towards the wall.

"Anyway. We're in the middle of practice at the moment, but I can pull the team out to meet you. Or I can get someone to take you on a tour of the stadium. It's your choice." Wymack said. Thalia just shrugged, really not caring. "Alright. Team out it is. Then Renee can show you around. And after that, if you feel up to it, you can join us for practice."

Thalia followed the man into the stadium and heard the balls hitting the plexiglass walls before she could see it. "Welcome to the Foxhole Court, Thalia Warden." Wymack said, standing by Thalia's side. She tensed up at being so close to the man, but allowed herself to enjoy the moment.

The team was practicing in perfect synchrony. The two strikers attacked the backliners, who blocked every shot they could, and performed checks Thalia had wanted to see for months. At one end of the court, stood in the goal, was a woman who defended it like her life depended on it. Renee Walker was someone Thalia knew she could score on, but she wasn't the one Thalia needed to beat.

Wymack banged his fist on the glass, getting his team's attention. They all stopped and looked his way. Within seconds, they were moving. Thalia tensed her shoulders, nervous at all the people moving towards her at once, but she stayed calm on the outside.

"Hey, you must be Thalia," one of the girls said. She'd taken off her helmet and was smiling, despite the sweat staining her face. Danielle Wilds was the first female captain in Class 1 NCAA history, and she was a beast on the court. Not taking anyone's shit probably helped with that, and Thalia respected the woman.

"Yes." Thalia said, a small smile on her face. Once Dan realised she wasn't getting anything more out of Thalia, she turned to her team and began introducing them.

"This is Matt, Nicky and Aaron, our backliners," Dan said, pointing to each of the boys as she spoke.  "Allison and me are the dealers," Allison eyed Thalia carefully. She was replacing Allison's late boyfriend, Seth Gordon, after all. "Renee and Andrew are our goalkeepers," Renee smiled and waved a little. "And Kevin and Neil, who you'll be playing striker with." Neil gave Thalia a head nod, but Kevin narrowed his eyes and crossed his arms, looking Thalia up and down. She was uncomfortable by the path of his eyes, but didn't speak.

"Nice to meet you all." Thalia said. "Renee, Wymack said you'd give me a tour." Renee looked to the coach who nodded. Dan looked disappointed that Thalia hadn't seemed more excited about meeting them, but it was just the way she worked. 

Renee put down her helmet and took off her gloves and neck padding. Thalia followed the rainbow-haired woman out of the inner court, and heard someone mutter something they thought was quiet enough for nobody to hear; 'Great, we've got another Andrew on our hands.'