LVII

HANDS UP

'I've thrown my hands up
I've already made my mind up
Never get down on my luck'

Neither child spoke, though Nathaniel's jaw worked. Nathan walked across the room and stood right in front of the two of them. Nathaniel stared at his father's top button, hoping that it would somehow save him from this situation. He knew it was a futile thing, though, and ended up just staring over his shoulder instead.

Nathan put his hand on his son's shoulder in what could have ben a reassuring gesture but wasn't. Nathaniel waited for the blow, but buckled when the burn on his cheek was punched. His father caught him but the throat as he fell. Nathalia tried to reach him as he fell, but Lola held her back with a knife to her throat.

"I said hello," Nathan said. Nathaniel scrambled to get his feet back on the floor. He didn't dare reach up and grab his father's hand. He knew what would happen if he did. Nathaniel opened his mouth to speak once he was standing again, but no words came out.

"Hello." Nathaniel managed at last.

"Look at me when I'm talking to you."

Nathaniel dragged his gaze to his father's face and looked into the identical blue eyes they shared. He didn't dare look at his father's hair. It would make too many similarities, and Nathaniel wouldn't know how to deal with that.

Then Nathan turned to Nathalia, still being held back by Lola. "And I thought years of living with the Moriyamas would have taught you some manners." He leaned in. "I said hello." Nathalia didn't speak, only opened her mouth and spat in Nathan's face. Nathaniel knew that was a one way ticket to a death wish, but didn't try to help his sister. He'd be punished quickly for that.

"My children," Nathan said, unfazed by Nathalia's outburst and already wiping off the spit with a towel his right hand man, DiMaccio, gave him. "My greatest disappointment in life. Where is my second?"

"Mom is dead," Nathaniel said. "You killed her. Don't you remember?"

"I would remember," Nathan looked at Nathaniel, who tried not to look away again. Nathalia was finally released and rubbed her neck as she watched Lola move away from her, a glare on her face. "I would have savoured the memory while counting down the days to finding you again."

"Well your bitch gave him that burn trying to get that information out of him." Nathalia said. Nathan turned. Nathaniel saw what his sister was trying to do. She was getting the attention on her so that Nathaniel may have a chance at escaping or at least dying last. Nathaniel decided two could play at that game.

"You broke her," Nathaniel said, getting his father to play a game of tennis with his head. "She only got as far as the California border." Nathalia stared at her brother, who wouldn't look at her.

"That's where we split up." Nathalia said. "Because you hurt me too, don't you remember at least that? Because I sure don't. I don't remember anything of my childhood because of how much you damaged me."

"Maybe that was a good thing," Nathan said. "It was about time for you to start over again."

"The places I lived were horrible," Nathalia said. "But I suppose we're getting off track, right?"

Nathan stood taller. "Yes, I suppose we are." he paused, looking Nathalia over. Then he turned to Nathaniel again and grabbed his face in a hand. "Who told you hiding in plain sight was a viable option? You had to know I would find you eventually."

"And you," Nathan turned to Nathalia, who was clenching and unclenching her fists at her side. He didn't let go of Nathaniel's face, instead forcing him to look as well. "You may be Moriyama property, which is why Lola didn't burn that disgusting number off your face, but they handed you back to me. They want me to kill you because you are beginning to be a problem for them. At first, it was just supposed to be your brother here," Nathan squeezed his son's jaw tightly and Nathaniel saw Nathalia do the same on her own accord. "All those years ago. But now I'm to kill you both, and I will relish in every second that I rip your limbs from your bodies."

"You're sick," Nathalia said at last.

"Fuck you," Nathaniel said once his father finally let go of his jaw. Nathan held his hand out and DiMaccio stepped forward. In one hand, he held Nathan's old and dull axe, and in the other was the cleaver that he was famous for. The Butcher of Baltimore was called the butcher for a reason.

Nathalia's breath hitched in her throat. She wouldn't show her hesitation, however, and forced herself to keep breathing as normally as she could. The sight of the cleaver somehow made the tattoo on her shoulder blade feel as if it were burning. She couldn't be sure if Nathan had ever used the weapon on her, but the cleaver seemed as familiar as her own reflection. She'd definitely seen it used on others, even if it wasn't herself.

Nathan turned to DiMaccio to look at his weapons. To choose which one he was going to use to kill his children. Nathaniel saw the chance to escape and took it. He started running for the exit, but Lola anticipated his actions and moved after him. Nathalia was frozen in her spot, unable to move from fear of being shot down. Lola jumped on Nathaniel and held him down, stopping him from running. She didn't have much of a grip on him, but she only had to hold on to Nathaniel until DiMaccio could hand a weapon to Nathan and go after Nathaniel himself.

DiMaccio picked Nathaniel up off the ground and carried him back into the room, unfazed by the punches that Nathaniel was throwing at him. Lola stepped back, pushing her hair back into place. DiMaccio threw Nathaniel into a wall and he fell to the floor, having had the breath knocked out of him. That's what broke Nathalia out of her trance. She moved forward with intent to kill.