XXV

RENEGADES

'Run away with me
Lost souls and reverie
Running wild and running free
Two kids, you and me'

 ⥐ 

When the Ravens' game approached, Thalia threw out all her thoughts on classes and instead focused so hard on training for the game that when Wymack took her aside at practice to talk to her about it she wasn't prepared, and didn't care.

"Your teachers say they'll talk to the deans about your work ethic and possibly suspend you from Exy until you get your grades back up." Wymack said. Thalia frowned, bouncing on the balls of her feet to try to get back to practice. Wymack sighed and took her elbow in his hand. "I don't know shit about art, Thalia, but apparently yours isn't up to par at the moment. I understand that you want to focus on the Ravens' game, but there's no point if you're not going to be able to play."

"Right, okay coach," Thalia said. "I'll get my grades up, I'll do all my homework. I promise. Now can I go back in?" Wymack sighed again but nodded and let go of her arm. "Thanks," she said and stepped into the box.

She went all out at the night practices, throwing shot after shot at Andrew, who deflected every single one of them. Thalia stormed out of the box one night and threw her stick and helmet on the ground. Neil followed her.

"Hey," he said. Thalia was running her gloved hands through her hair. She was frustrated. Even when using both hands Andrew was throwing her off her rhythm. It was annoying, and she wanted to hit something. Get back to her delinquent behaviour from early on in her foster home times. "What's wrong?" Thalia whipped round.

"What's wrong?" she asked, slightly hysterical. "Oh, I don't know, Neil. Probably the fact that he can deflect every single one of my shots, even when I switch my hands literally every shot."

"It's because you switch them every shot that he can deflect them." Thalia knew Neil was right, but she needed to do something to calm down. She started taking off her gear. She needed to go for a run. Thalia knew how dangerous it was running at night, but she supposed if she was on campus that it wouldn't be so bad. "What are you doing?" 

"I'm going for a run. I'll see you in the morning." Thalia put her shoes on and left the building without another word. She sprinted all the way back to the dorms, then realised that she wasn't calm enough, and jogged to the art studio.

She unlocked it with her keys and turned on the lights. Instead of going to the piece she was already working on, Thalia headed to where the canvases were stored. She took out a large one and placed it on an easel. She put paint on her palette and got the brushes she thought she'd need. Thalia didn't know what she was going to paint, just that she needed to paint something. Both for her class and stress.

She started a woman's back, knowing that she'd end up with two black wings sprouted from her shoulder blades. Thalia fell asleep in her chair and woke to the sound of knocking. She fell out of the chair and stood up, looking around, afraid of who would be there. It was Andrew. He seemed to be the only Fox who knew where her studio was, but she didn't want to talk to him right now.

"It's five am." He said. "I thought you'd be here." 

"Are you on your meds or not," Thalia asked, taking her things to the sink. Andrew didn't laugh, giving her all the answer she needed. "Why did you come here, I don't want to talk to you right now."

"Neil said you were mad that I was blocking all your shots." Thalia stiffened as she cleaned her things. She didn't feel threatened by Andrew, though she probably should be. It was more that she didn't like where the conversation was going. "You need to stop being so predictable." Thalia laughed. 

"I knew you'd say something like that." she said and walked over to where she'd put her keys in her haste the night before. "Get out of my studio."

"Is all this really yours?" Andrew asked with fake enthusiasm. Thalia didn't answer, but Andrew turned around and walked out. Thalia followed and closed the door behind her.

"Why do you listen to what he says, anyway?" Thalia asked Andrew. She looked over at him. Despite not wanting to talk, she'd noticed him walking close to her anyway. Andrew hummed, something Thalia was finding an annoying habit of his.

"I would send you to Renee to answer that question, but since it's you asking," Andrew said, trailing off.

"And what's the deal with you and Renee?" Thalia interjected. "Literally the whole team thinks you're dating. There are bets on it, but you probably already knew that." Andrew didn't smile, just like he never did when he wasn't on his medication, but Thalia knew he found what she'd said amusing.

"I don't like Renee like that," Andrew said. "She's a good acquaintance. A sparring partner. Fellow goalkeeper. Not a friend, and nothing more." Thalia understood that, though she didn't know they were sparring partners. That would make sense, but Thalia didn't know Renee's backstory, though it must have had something to do with fighting. Perhaps she'd ask the rainbow haired girl.

"Then who do you like?" Thalia asked. "You have to like someone. Even you."

"Well, I did think Roland was pretty fuckable, but that was a while ago." Andrew said, then pretended to think longer. Something in Thalia clicked and she suddenly understood. She didn't say anything, knowing her words wouldn't be appreciated, but she did have many questions. "There were a few guys in juvie that were pretty hot, too, but other than that, nobody, really." 

Andrew didn't look at her, but Thalia didn't need to see his face to know it was threatening. She wanted to ask everything that was going through her mind, but they stayed silent the rest of the way back to Fox tower. Then they went their separate ways and Thalia stood under the shower in her dorm, thinking things through.

 ⥐ 

"Nathalia, wall!" Riko yelled in Japanese. She was still learning the language, so Riko and Kevin had to use simple words to give their orders. Nathalia looked to the wall and saw a ball bounce off it. She moved quickly to where it would go and caught the ball in the net of her racquet. She kept moving down the court and threw it at the goal. The lines lit up red, and Nathalia smiled in happiness.

"No!" Riko yelled and Nathalia's heart dropped. She turned and looked at the older boy. 

"What do you mean? I got it in." she said, confused. Riko stormed towards her and Nathalia could see the angry look on his face.

"But you used your left hand." he said angrily in English. "We are training you to use your right hand, and your right hand only." Riko sighed. "Sorry, but I don't want you getting hurt by the Master."

"It's okay," Nathalia said quietly. "I won't do it again." Riko smiled and shook her helmet affectionately before walking back down the court. Nathalia blushed and followed, ready to start the drill again.