Chapter Five: Flutes

My dearest Inej,

I have got to move back into The Slat. If I have to listen to Wylan's flute for one more day, I'm putting my head through a wall. He's trying to learn some especially challenging arpeggios this week, and I don't know what the hell it's supposed to sound like, but from here it's like someone's violently strangling a canary. I take back every criticism I've ever had about Jesper. He should be drinking more. I couldn't live with this.

Inej – I hope you know I will support every endeavor you should want to undertake. But I will draw the line at the flute.

I have nothing else to write about, because there is nothing more pressing than this. I'm going to end here so I can take this letter to the post via whatever route takes the longest. Maybe by way of Fjerda.

Yours,

K. Brekker

P.S. – It got worse. Now he's whistling.

———————————————————————————

My hilarious Inej,

I sincerely hope you're lying about buying a flute in Shriftport. I swear on every one of your Saints, if you come home fluting, I will uncover every annoyance that's ever bothered you and devote an entire day to making you experience each one of them in succession.

You think I'm joking? Try me, Ghafa. Go on – buy a flute. See what happens.

I eagerly await your response.

Kaz

———————————————————————————–

Oh, my most diabolical Inej,

You did not just mail me a flute. Have you lost your mind? This is a waste of perfectly good kruge.

No, I absolutely will not play a duet with you.

You're a madwoman. You've clearly been at sea too long. Come home at once.

The Slat should be ready to move back in by the time you're back. If you promise to leave your flute on The Wraith, there's a place for you to stay when you visit. Not insinuating anything. Purely out of convenience. But we do expect you to abide by the no flute policy while you're here. It's quite serious.

And so I'm afraid, in keeping with the strict no flute policy, I'm going to have to throw this flute out. My apologies. It's beyond my control.

Yours,

Kaz

————————————————————————————-

Inej, most sly and cunning of all Inejs,

Yes, the no flute policy does include whistling. I'm sorry – I don't make the rules. I just enforce.

I did mean in my room at The Slat. That's the available space. I should have been clearer. I would probably sleep in a chair or on the floor or just not sleep at all. I've always felt sleep is a more negotiable habit, anyway. I apologize for not having a more specific arrangement in mind first. It's harder to think clearly when you're being assaulted by flutes.

I just like having you around.

Are you saying you will stay at The Slat?

Yours,

Kaz

———————————————————————————-

My dearest Inej,

I knew there was a risk that it might be too uncomfortable for you. It's not ridiculous at all. The offer stands whenever you'd like to take advantage of it. I swear I don't take it personally. After everything I've asked of you, it would be insane of me to take it personally.

Unless you're choosing the flute over me, in which case I think that means I'm supposed to duel the flute. And he has another thing coming if he thinks I'm going quietly. They don't call me The Devastation for nothing.

It won't always be this way. I'm going to keep saying it until it's true. So, don't feel badly for having to wear your metaphorical gloves every once and awhile.

Two months. Two weeks. Five days. Until I absolutely destroy that flute.

Respectfully yours,

Kaz

————————————————————————————-

Inej, love,

Change your mind as many times as you like. Or don't decide until you're docked. Wherever you want to lay your head at night while you are in Ketterdam is entirely up to you. If it is your heart's desire to sleep on the roof, then I'll hand you up a pillow and a blanket. I have no expectations.

Speaking of which, I move back into The Slat tomorrow, so update addresses accordingly. It took a little longer than expected. I had the crew update some of the plumbing, and then that uncovered a mold problem that had to be dealt with. It's been one thing after another with that place since Seeger's fire. (That's what we're officially calling it now. It was Seeger's fire. Henceforth, Seeger shall always be known as the one who is never to be trusted with fire, and we never let him forget it.)

All that to say, wherever you decide to sleep, I'm just looking forward to seeing you again in one month, two weeks, and three days. It's been a tiresome few months.

Yours,

Kaz

———————————————————————————

My dearest Inej,

I have read and considered your proposal and its terms. You would like to stay at The Slat on the condition that I read aloud some of my letters to you. I'm not sure I quite understand your angle, but, for you, I'm willing to take the risk. You have yourself a deal.

Sincerely yours,

K. Brekker