Chapter Eleven: A Balancing Act

My darling Inej,

Don't think for a minute I don't know what you're aiming at with this letter full of questions. You may have my heart, but you can't be privy to all of my schemes, especially when I'm now aware that your birthday is next month. Did you think I would forget? My dear, I forget nothing.

So, no, to all of your questions. I'm not telling you what I've been plotting lately. I'm not telling you what has been on my mind. I'm not telling you if I've been visiting Jesper and Wylan's more than usual. You must wait in suspense just as Jesper did. That's part of the experience.

And don't make that scoffing sound when you read this. I remind you that this whole birthday gift experience business was all your idea. You have no one to blame but yourself.

How do I sleep at night, you asked? Noisily, I've been told, but just fine, thank you.

With all of my scheming heart,

Kaz

———————————————————————————-

To my favorite Inej,

Has he said anything at all to you – regarding the incident in my last letter? We found him on the couch again this morning. It's at least becoming less startling when it happens. I just wish I understood it. He has that uncanny ability to vanish without explanations, and Wylan and I aren't sure how to bring it up since he's so clearly bent on pretending it's not happening.

I suppose if our sofa and our dog are what he needs right now for whatever is happening inside that ridiculous brain of his, then I'm glad we're able to help in some small way. He's not taking advantage of much. We only wish he'd trust us with more.

I mean, we've all have nearly died for his schemes on more than one occasion. Should I remind him of that? What could possibly be too much to ask of us at this point?

All my love,

Jesper

——————————————————————————–

To our feared and beloved Captain

For her twenty-first birthday:

Cake and kvas and mysteries galore

Are awaiting your arrival

Return to Ketterdam if you wish to know more

Your presence is requested at the enclosed address, at 3 bells the 18th of October.

No questions. All will be revealed in time.

Love,

Your favorite Crows

(addition in Kaz's handwriting)

That gods-awful poem was Jesper and Wylan's idea. Withhold judgment until after the evening. I'll make it worth your while.

———————————————————————————–

Dear Nina,

I'm sailing away from Ketterdam today having nearly every single one of my birthday wishes fulfilled but one. But I won't hold it against you. I know why you couldn't have been there, or at least, I understand why I don't know the specifics of why you couldn't be there. Just know that, at the time of writing this and always, you are sorely missed.