Chapter Eight: Confessions

For the Dread Pirate Inej Ghafa of the True Sea,

You need to come for your boy, Inej. I've just come back from seeing a Tailor because the bastard knocked out two of my teeth. I have no idea what's gotten into him. All I did was invite him to Wylan's recital, and he punched square me in the mouth.

Is something wrong? Is there anything I can do? He's brooding, and it's making everyone miserable. Wylan wants to know if he can help, too. He says he would very much like to avoid having teeth knocked out. He gets a little skittish about Tailors since the whole thing with Kuwei Yul-Bo.

Are you two having a lover's quarrel? Do we need to rough him up a bit for you? Wylan's furiously shaking his head after hearing I was writing that. Ignore him. Say the word. I've got teeth to spare.

All my love,

Jesper

———————————————————————————–

Our dearest Inej,

You want us to be in your stand-in Nina?! I have no idea what we've done to deserve such an honor, but we will cherish it always. We've picked out stand-in Nina hats to wear while we channel her wisdom and knowledge for you. Mine's a fedora.

So, we started this letter and then immediately had to break for a snack. Nina-channeling is hazardous. Where were we?

Your letter. Wylan's making a sympathetic face under his dapper Nina-channeling cap. He says he knows what it's like to fall for bad men. I'm taking great offense.

But, really, that's what this is about, isn't it? You've fallen in love with a man who breaks bones and knocks out teeth and has no intention of stopping. And you love that about him, and you hate that you love that. I've been in your unfortunate shoes. (Wylan says he has, too, but I don't care for what he's insinuating.) I hate to point out the obvious, but maybe you haven't noticed – you have no intention of putting a halt to your swashbuckling, either.

So, is it really that you're not sure if you love Kaz Brekker? Or is it that you're not really sure if you love this twisted side of yourself?

Oh, damn, that was good stuff. I'm not sure even Nina could have come up with that. I'm taking all the credit for that one.

Wylan's pointing out that it is possible that you do love your darker tendencies, but maybe feel like you shouldn't. Much like loving Kaz Brekker. Perhaps this is the source of your confusion. (The merchling's one-upping me. Or maybe he really is channeling Nina. I'm intimidated either way.)

Whatever it is you discover about yourself in this, know that we love Inej. Whoever you want her to be or be with. Your stand-in Ninas are ready to rend anyone who has a problem with your choice.

Wylan's shaking his head again. Fine, one of your stand-in Ninas is ready to rend, then.

All of our love,

Jesper and Wylan

————————————————————————————-

(unaddressed envelope)

My dearest Devastation,

Mati en sheva yelu. I have kept you waiting for too long, but trust me that I had a reason. It seemed to me the only way to make this a fair exchange is to read a letter aloud to you. I have chosen this one, because it begins with this: