Forty Six.

⚓⚓⚓

My eyes flicked from streetlight to streetlight as we passed by each one. I sat in the passenger seat of Kiara's car, staring out of the window in a trance as we drove silently through the darkness.

After Pope's little breakdown earlier, John B showed up covered in blood and in total shock. As soon as we heard the sirens speeding past in the direction of the airstrip, we knew something bad happened. It turns out Ward isn't the only dangerous Cameron we had to worry about.

"John B, what are we doing at the police station?" JJ asked from the back of the car.

"Somebody's gotta tell them what happened."

Kiara parked the car outside the police station, shutting off the engine. She glanced at me, with a worried look on her face as she turned in her seat to look back at John B but Pope choking on a cough from yet another drag of the joint he was holding took both of our attention away from John B for a second. I waved my hand in front of my face, wafting away the smoke Pope had blown around the car as I glared at him.

"All right. I'm just gonna be real with you right now." JJ leant over the back of John B's seat to speak to him. "You might end up in the lion's den, but you don't go there on purpose." I rolled my eyes at his pessimism as he continued. "It's fundamental. Just like my old man always told me, you should never ever trust cops, no matter what the circumstance is."

"Your old man's an abusive liar." I looked towards Kiara, shooting her a glare at her bluntness, despite how true it was.

"I agree with JJ." Pope started before I had the chance to speak. "Fuck the police."

"You going to the dark side now?"

"When's the last time the police helped up?" He bit back at Kiara's frustrated tone.

"Are we seriously arguing about this right now? This isn't just about a treasure hunt no more. The sheriff's been shot. She could be dead. That's murder!" I raised my voice, fed up with the back and forth of Pope and Kiara right now.

"Peterkin looked out for me." John B said softly after a moments silence, responding to Pope. "Tried to, at least." He glanced at me, appreciating me being on his side to tell the police what happened. "They need to know." I looked at JJ as he spoke, his eyes flicked down as he slunk back in his seat, accepting defeat as John B climbed out of the car.

I glanced around the quiet, tense car. Kiara was watching John B walk into the police station. Pope was staring blankly, pupils fully dilated from spending the whole afternoon smoking JJ's stash. And JJ was fiddling with his cap to hide his nerves. Everyone was on edge and it showed.

"It's the right thing to do." I broke the silence as I sat back in my seat, facing forward again. Kiara nodded in my direction in agreement but the boys stayed silent. And that's how we sat for a few more minutes. But the door to the station opening with a heavy bang against the wall caught my attention immediately.

All I could see through the dimly lit parking lot was John B rushing out towards us as he shouted. "Kie, start the car!" I sat up straight, looking through the window to see what the hell was happening when two officers run out after him.

"Start it!" I repeated his words when I noticed she hadn't moved. John B grabbed at the door handle, swinging it open quickly.

"What did you do?" Kiara yelled over everyone's panicked voices as she fumbled with the ignition.

"Kie, just go!" I shouted once John B was in the car, but one of the officers had caught up and had a hold on the handle outside. Kiara started to drive away, but the officer wouldn't let go.