Eleven.

⚓⚓⚓

"Ouch." I suck in a sharp breath as I bring the bottle of neat rum up to my lips, swigging the smallest amount to distract from the pain.

"Last bit, then it's done." JJ said as he threaded the needle through my skin. The numbing cream had long worn off and I was regretting my decision to not get this done professionally at the hospital. But then again, how was I going to explain a bullet wound without raising more questions.

JJ had offered to stitch me up after Pope took a little too long examining it. He was practically salivating as he poked and prodded at the weeping flesh, explaining how 'cool' it was. I drew the line when he asked if he could take a photo though.

"Done." JJ exhaled, wiping a cloth over it one last time before picking up a large band-aid. I looked down to inspect his handy work, twisting my arm to get a better look before he covered the wound.

"How did you get so good at doing this?" I asked, surprised at how neat the stitches were. I looked up at him when he didn't respond, noticing him quickly look away.

"I- um, I'm clumsy and reckless. Not a good combination." He mumbled with a little chuckle. I nodded. It was a completely acceptable reason considering how reckless he really was, but the hint of sadness that flashed in his eyes made me a little suspicious.

After packing away the medical box, we walked back through the now quiet Chateau. Pope and Kiara had already gone home, deflated and exhausted after our near death experience. I looked towards John B's closed bedroom door as we walked past it. "You think he's ok?" I asked JJ quietly.

JJ shrugged with a sympathetic look. "He will be, eventually, I guess." After discovering the compass, John B was quick to retreat into himself. Silently marching off to lock himself in his room to process the discovery.

The others were quick to brush the compass off as Big John's, thinking John B was mistaken somehow. But I had seen it before. I remembered the stories he would tell us when I slept over at their house when my parents were working. Hidden under our bedsheet forts, Big John would tell us stories of pirates and shipwrecks, of mermaids and sunken treasures. Anything ocean related, he told us, whether it was reality or fantasy. And he loved to use props for extra effect. Eye patches, chocolate coins covered in gold wrap... and that compass.

"We just need to give him time." I smiled back at JJ as I stopped in the doorway on the porch to turn and face him. He looked pensive, sad even. "He's lucky to have a friend like you."

JJ's eyes shot up at me with confusion, not expecting the compliment, and I could tell he didn't understand my words. "He would struggle a lot more with an empty home, without you here." I explained. "I should know." JJ nodded, understanding my words.

I shuffled awkwardly on the spot, suddenly feeling a little uncomfortable. "Well, er..." I started. "Thanks, for stitching me up." I gestured towards my arm. "You make a good nurse." I chuckled, trying to lighten the mood. JJ laughed as he shook his head, the dimples I had grown to love so much making a small appearance. "Possible future career?" I laughed again at the silly suggestion, determined to keep the smile on his face.

"Actually, that's not a bad idea. Easy access to narcotics." He joked back as I rolled my eyes at him. Without even thinking about it, I rolled up on my tiptoes to place a small kiss on JJ's cheek. I pulled back, seeing a small blush creep into his cheeks. And I'm sure the same was happening to me as I glanced down momentarily stunned at my unexpected actions.

"Thanks. Again." I said quietly as I turned around, making my way back across the yard to Nana's house.

⚓ ⚓ ⚓