Forty.

A/N

Hi guys! We all know what chapter this is - sorry in advance xx

⚓⚓⚓

The walk from the Wreck to JJ's house took longer than I thought it would. My heart was racing the entire time, not knowing what state of mind I would find him in and whether me showing up would make things better or worse. I had only been to his house a few times in the past, and always waited outside at his request.

The horrible feeling growing in my chest intensified with each step I took on the path to the front door. The grass either side was overgrown with weeds and the wooden door was chipped with white flaky paint. I stopped still in front of it, unable to move for a moment before I found the courage to knock.

No answer. 

JJ's dirt bike was parked up outside so he must be home. Maybe he was still mad and didn't want to speak to anyone. But the old rusty truck that was also parked on the drive made me turn back to the front door, knocking again a little harder.

I pulled my phone from my back pocket, sighing as I saw that there was still no signal on this side of the island, before sliding it back and turning to walk away. But the sudden crashing sound coming from the house caused me to jump in shock. That definitely came from JJ's house, not a neighbor, right?

I stood still, silently holding my breath as I tried to listen. I physically felt the blood drain from my face when I realized what I could hear. Without even thinking twice, I bolted towards the small gate at the side of the house, hearing the thuds and grunts growing louder the closer I got.

Pushing open the creaky wire gate, I dodged abandoned planks of wood and random junk that was scattered in the overgrown edges of the house. My feet felt like they were running in sand, but I forced myself to move forward and turn the corner into the backyard.

I hadn't prepared myself for what I was running towards. I couldn't have. But seeing JJ laying flat on his back with his dad knelt over him, firing punch after punch at his already bloody face stopped me in my tracks. I tried to catch my breath as my mind struggled to process what was happening.

His dad's arm pulled back again as his other hand gripped round JJ's throat, pinning him to the ground. The anger and rage was written across his face, and it was in that moment that I realized that he wasn't stopping. JJ wasn't fighting back. He couldn't move.

"Get off of him! You're killing him!" I yelled, not even realizing I was running towards them. JJ's dad didn't even look up, instead landing another punch just before I reached his side. I lifted my arms out in front of me, running into him with every last bit of force I could, somehow knocking him unsteady to his side.

But he was strong. Much stronger than me. His head turned slowly in my direction, a creepy smirk growing on his lips revealing his blood filled mouth.

"Abby..." I heard JJ croak quietly, causing me to turn and look at him instantly. I couldn't hold in the gasp as I laid my eyes on his battered bloody face. But his dad took the moment of distraction as an opportunity to shove me away forcefully.

I stumbled backwards, tripping over some junk on the ground and landing with a heavy thud. My eyesight went dark and blurry as an instant pain sparked in my head. I knew I had hit my head on something, but the impact had winded me and I couldn't catch my breath to move.

I could hear muffled yelling again, but the sound of skin punching skin was unmistakable. Grabbing my head where I felt the pain, I rolled to my side, trying to regain my breathing and sight. I sat up dazed, now seeing JJ knelt over his dad's body. He had his shirt bunched up in his fist, holding him off the ground as he hit him again and again.